Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO city "icons"??

Post ISO city "icons"??

I would be interested if anyone knows where to find some free for personal use fantasy city/towers/etc icons in png format.

Alternately, or in addition, I would love to have someone (Torstan??) do a tutorial with a few different examples in GIMP, Inkscape, or some other free based software.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You could try Dundjinni (if you haven't already), they may have some.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I posted a couple in my Randland WIP thread just last night. I might be persuaded to make some more to spec Thursday or Friday. Did you have a particular style in mind?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I posted a couple in my Randland WIP thread just last night. I might be persuaded to make some more to spec Thursday or Friday. Did you have a particular style in mind?

Well.. I am looking for stuff like the below, which come from Fractal Mapper. I will be using some of these for this map(and eventually, it's replacement). The symbols at the top are Fractal Mappers native format while the ones at the bottom are the bmp symbols built into FM8. I would like to have more examples that represent a walled city. I think what I am going to end up doing is using the referenced map at the start of a new campaign in which the heroes and everyone they know have been underground(in a Dwarven stronghold) for centuries (or perhaps a few millennium) after some cataclysm up on the surface world. This map will present the region at the time of the event, so it is woefully out of date by the time the heroes eventually venture topside. Of course.... the topside cities are all in ruins now and the landscape has changed quite a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example icons.png 
Views:	974 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	8467  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

I think that's doable, and it would be a good resource to have here. I'll see if I can't knock out a few once my classes are done.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I just remembered that I had used some building from the CivFanatics forum on this map here (just to see how they would work), you may want to check some of those out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I just remembered that I had used some building from the CivFanatics forum on this map here (just to see how they would work), you may want to check some of those out.
    Yea.. I just noticed the finished map you posted up and your reply here. I went over there, and while there are some fantastic models, they are really not in a format I can use naively. Is there some type of utility that somewhere that will convert them to png that I have not found yet? Also, I am a bit leary of stuff like this since I don't see any specific licensing information(of course, this will just be for personal use, but I want to make sure to follow any restrictions the original author has.)
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Without a working laptop I'm afraid I'm not going to be much use. I'll certainly be following this thread - and I'd love to see more of Midgarsomer's icons. I still haven't managed to really get isometric cities that I like and read well at small scales.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Without a working laptop I'm afraid I'm not going to be much use. I'll certainly be following this thread - and I'd love to see more of Midgarsomer's icons. I still haven't managed to really get isometric cities that I like and read well at small scales.
    Bummer about the laptop.... do you think you will have something before year end? I know you mentioned somewhere that you were heading out of the US soon, and were not sure if you would have time to pick up a new computer before you headed out or not.

Anyway, I think the ISO icons you did for your Map of Dolmen Isle WIP map were really good, which is part of the reason I had the idea in the first place. I understand what your saying about scale, but color can help this immensely, especially if the original is drawn at a nice resolution to begin with. I know a problem I have been having is line thickness as this is part of the reason I posted up this thread in the first place(and the lack of any resources easily available for this type of thing) since my first tests really just blew chunks.......
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, colour makes a huge difference here. I'd suggest not doing line drawings at all for the buildings as the line thickness is likely to turn them all black for any reasonable level of detail. In which case a light grey band for the city wall with some red/orange rooftops and maybe a wisp of smoke should cover the sense of a walled city. FOr higher resolution,. perhaps some light line work would help.

As for the laptop - my old one has some form of warranty still in place so I'm going to try to get it fixed. Until I determine that there's really no point in buying a new one - especially not before Christmas. So as much as I want a new laptop - and that really shouldn't be underestimated! - I certainly can't justify buying one before January.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast