Thread: Ruin Regions' Planet Maps

Guild Applicant

Default Ruin Regions' Planet Maps

Request Cancelled.
    Last edited by Icie Juicy; 08-23-2012 at 05:20 PM.

you should really think about buying Fractal Terrains from Profantasy. It will automatically generate planets for you very much in the style you've shown. You can play with various settings and easily make ice planets, foresty looking planets etc.

And get wilbur too. You don't have to be an artist to get those. Just be a little intuitive and mess around.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    you should really think about buying Fractal Terrains from Profantasy. It will automatically generate planets for you very much in the style you've shown. You can play with various settings and easily make ice planets, foresty looking planets etc.
    Thanks for the recommendation and resource Ravells. Fractal Terrains looks like a very user-friendly and easy to learn tool for developing exactly what I'm looking for. That site has a handful of other useful programs that I'll continue to look into as well. And as Evile Eagle said, even with my non-artistic ability I should be able to pull it off. I'm not sure what "wilbur" is though?

While I may resort to using this program in the future, my hope is that someone may be interested in working on this project before I do resort to developing it myself since I am currently programming Ruin Regions alone and I'm artistically challenged. If someone does find this project/request interesting, I hope the "Unpaid" status does not deter you too much and if it does, please let me know and we could discuss this issue in more detail.

I'll offer my standard suggestions on the topics of Fractal Terrains and Wilbur:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html
    http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html and go to the "Main Program Download" link. The Fun With Wilbur links are useful.

And never overlook the message tags option under advanced search here on this forum. The tags "Wilbur" and "Fractal Terrains" will both yield a wealth of information on their respective subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I'll offer my standard suggestions on the topics of Fractal Terrains and Wilbur:

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html
    http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html and go to the "Main Program Download" link. The Fun With Wilbur links are useful.

And never overlook the message tags option under advanced search here on this forum. The tags "Wilbur" and "Fractal Terrains" will both yield a wealth of information on their respective subjects.
    Sorry for the thread jack... but is there any chance at all that you might compile a Linux version of wilbur(or let some else compile?) Of course, this is assuming that you are using C++ and are not including any direct windows library calls that can't be ported... I know you have said on your page that it's windows only for now... but was hoping you might change your mind at some point....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack... but is there any chance at all that you might compile a Linux version of wilbur(or let some else compile?) Of course, this is assuming that you are using C++ and are not including any direct windows library calls that can't be ported... I know you have said on your page that it's windows only for now... but was hoping you might change your mind at some point....
    Making Wilbur work on not-Windows requires a complete rewrite of the UI. Making Wilbur work on Wine is likely a less painful proposition.

Guild Applicant

Request Cancelled.
    Last edited by Icie Juicy; 08-23-2012 at 05:20 PM.