Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geneva: Europe's Wars of Religion

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

Wip Geneva: Europe's Wars of Religion

Geneva: Europe's Wars of Religion

The year is 1517; Martin Luther, a Catholic professor of Theology at Wittenberg College, nails his list of 95 theses to the door of the All Saints' Church in Wittenberg, Saxony. The list, among his other writings, would ultimately cause the college professor to be excommunicated by the Pope and condemned as one of the greatest heretics to ever ascend from the depths of hell. The Lutheran Church would eventually spread throughout most of modern Germany, central Europe, and the Nordic countries.

The year is 1522; Ulrich Zwingli, a Catholic pastor receiving a pension for preaching at the Grossmünster church in Zurich, Switzerland, engages in his first public controversy for openly pushing for reforms in the Catholic church. Zwingli also condemned the purchase of his renowned Swiss kinsmen as mercenaries in war. Zwingli would die in combat, but his legacy would last as laying the foundation for reform in Switzerland. The Reformed Church would eventually spread from Switzerland, into France, the Netherlands, and even up to Scotland.

The year is 1534; Henry VIII, King of England, disagreeing with the Pope over the legitimacy of his divorce to Catherine of Aragon, separates England from the Catholic church and declares himself head of the Church of England. The Nobility of England would engage in fierce feuds regarding which religious faction England would be loyal to, Protestantism or Catholicism.
    ---

The 16th century, a century of fierce religious conflict. Catholic armies vs. Protestant. Family against family. Nation against nation. Nations against themselves. This was the time period of the Protestant Reformation. This was the time period of Europe's religious civil wars. Take control of one of three of the Protestant churches; Lutheran, Reformed, and Anglican. Spread the influence of protestantism throughout all of Europe, and raise armies to defend the church against Papal forces.
    ---

Hi guys,

I've figured I'd let everyone follow along with my board game project. I posted in the Regional/World Mapping section of the forum (without as much detail), but I feel this is the best place for this thread, so I will be updating here (only here). In these first two posts will be two photos. The first will be one that I will change with each formal update. This will make finding the most recent work as simple as looking at the first page of the thread. The second photo will be the look of the map I currently have (today, March 9th, 2014). I'm not that skilled of a map maker, so I can't promise anything amazing, but I would love for you to follow this work and give me your feedback.

Thanks for following!
    Micah
    ---

Current Progress:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Europea.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	958.8 KB 
ID:	62259
    Update 1 (Visible on Page 1)
    Last edited by Micah Doulos; 03-12-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Info

Original

Hi guys. Here is the base of the map I am making. Textures are subject to change. I planned on having mountains on it already, but after a week of trying to come up with mountains I like, I still haven't come up with something. So I will probably switch to textures for the next update. Let me know what you think.

Name:	Europewithlandparchmentandborders.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	62197

Seems clear and well defined with no artifacts on the edges. What style of mountains have you tried?

Thanks. What do you mean that there are no "artifacts on the edges"? Did you mean that to be a compliment?

Here are the last 3 mountain styles I made.

Name:	mountains1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	62204

I spent a great deal of time on number one. Just to realize that while the mountains may be great on a small scale map at full size (400x400), they're too big to work well on a map of this scale. I had to make the mountains smaller here (125x125), and the level of detail worked against me, causing the things to become extremely pixelated. I also regret doing it all in greyscale, because that made it more difficult to undo the pixel problem. Added to the difficulty is my use of the paintbrush instead of the pencil. The paint brush painted in different shades of color, where as I learned the pencil stays at the same color value. I want mountains that are very boardgame'esque'. I don't think highly detailed mountains like number 1 fit. I don't like the other two either. I'll probably try painting directly onto the map next time, instead of making animated brushes. What do you think?

Also, on number 3. I can't figure out why a white line appears on the left side of the mountains. Everything is transparent in the layers. I doubled and tripled checked. Brown color, then a black line, then transparency. Yet when I paint with the animated brush, these strange white outlines appear. Ever seen anything like that?
    Last edited by Micah Doulos; 03-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Its a good thing, it means its clean with no irregularities. I don't think the hand drawn fantasy style mountains are a good match here. I'd look at old an old atlas or for other more classic directly overhead views. I'll try to find some links later perhaps. What programs are you using?

Thank you then, for the compliment. I'll do some searches for overhead views. I had not planned on going with a 2D top down view. I'd love some links if you can find them. I'm using GIMP.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Can we have a few more details on the game itself? Is this to be a board-wargame, or what? Area movement or point-to-point? What other parts to the game will there be (counters, cards, etc.)? Whats the objective and how do you win?

Here's the style that comes to mind first:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...-maps-prov.jpg

Here's the thread you'll find that image in
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...ic-maps-4.html

Though for your purposes the level of detail need not be nearly so high.

Quote Originally Posted by timallen View Post
    Can we have a few more details on the game itself? Is this to be a board-wargame, or what? Area movement or point-to-point? What other parts to the game will there be (counters, cards, etc.)? Whats the objective and how do you win?
    Hi timallen, thanks for commenting! I'll give you a few more details. It is to be a war game, with a primary interest in emphasizing the religious conflict going on. The map is divided into different nation states, France, Switzerland, Saxony, etc. It's also divided in cities and towns. Movement is point to point, city to city, town to town. Each player starts with a home city, Lutheran would be Wittenberg for example. You have a "church" in that city which gives you reform points, and a missionary piece you can move to a new town. You'll rely on your missionary at first to establish churches in neighboring towns, once you have 3 or 4 churches in 3 or 4 towns, you'll have enough RP generating every turn that your able to establish churches without a missionary. Armies come later with additional RP and the upgrading of your churches. The player will draw cards as well. Don't want to give to me details out to the public!

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Here's the style that comes to mind first:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...-maps-prov.jpg

Here's the thread you'll find that image in
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...ic-maps-4.html

Though for your purposes the level of detail need not be nearly so high.
    Thanks for the link madcowchef. I've seen this style before and never really thought it would be a good fit for what I'm attempting. It reminds me of this map A Mighty Fortress | Image | BoardGameGeek . I want my game to be instructional on not just history, but geography as well. I don't think this style has a focus on clearly visible geography. With that thought, I'd like for mountains, lakes, and major rivers to be easily visible on the board. I have kind of settled on a style now. I'm currently "painting" the map through use of transparent brushes. I should have an update tomorrow.

Update 1 (March 12th)

Name:	Europea.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	958.8 KB 
ID:	62259

Check out the paint work I've been doing. I've never done this before, painting with transparent strokes, so this a first time. I'm not very fond of the color scheme. I'm hoping there are easy ways to manipulate the colors and cause cool effects after the work is done. I'm not done yet. Some places have received more details than others. I'll probably continue to add detail as I go on. Any feedback? Advice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast