Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern part of the Valley (Campaign Cartographer 3)

Post Northern part of the Valley (Campaign Cartographer 3)

The Valley is a world I have been creating for a few years. At first I had only a small overland map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2977

I now recreated the northern part of that map in a more regional style (meaning a lot more details). The work took 60-80 hours I think. All the labels are in Dutch.

The Valley is a world that is enclosed by snow and ice. Most of the population lives in the area enclosed by the mountains or just outside. The northern part of the Valley is dominated a by a large lake which is fed by many different streams and rivers. The size of the lake varies during the seasons. During the summer, when a lot of snow in the mountains melts and the rivers swell, the lake floods large areas to the southwest. During winter most of the lake will be frozen. The shores are very fertile though and support several large communities.

This map depicts three of the great cities: Concetron, Miston and Iffraon. Concetron is the largest city in the north and has become a mayor trade hub. It's also the current residence of the government of the Valley. Miston is smaller, but it's famous for its huge herds of cattle and the cattle market. Iffraon lies in more rocky territory. Its mines and fertile valleys supply it with wealth.

In the past these great cities were ruled by wizards, who fought some violent conflicts over land and resources. One mayor resource is wood. All the forests in the Valley itself have been cut down and the forests that remain are small and planted. Larger forests can still be found outside the Valley, but they are not as easy to reach.

I might change some things in the map later, like redoing the labeling outside of Campaign Cartographer 3 for better results, or even add some stuff (like a cartouche), but for now I consider it finished. Eventually I will add the southern part of the Valley as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valley_north.jpg 
Views:	7982 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	16167  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-22-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very very cool Gandwarf - looking forward to the southern part.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great map, I love all the details :-)

I LOVE IT!

What is the scale tho?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I LOVE IT!

What is the scale tho?
    Thanks!
    There is no visible scale. I do have a rough idea of travel times on horse/foot though (it takes about 7 - 10 days to travel from Verena to Concetron). Lots of maps for stories don't have scales. There's even a special word for it I think and someone once posted about it on the forum.

We know roughly how many miles a man can walk each day on foot, so I might convert the travel times to a scale some day
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-23-2009 at 05:05 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

That's really nice work (as usual). I particularly like the pastures around those large cities. The names are nice too. I've never been able to come up with Dutch names that don't sound corny

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    That's really nice work (as usual). I particularly like the pastures around those large cities. The names are nice too. I've never been able to come up with Dutch names that don't sound corny
    Thanks. Some of the smaller villages still have corny names I think, so I will probably redo parts of the labeling in the future. Most of the smaller villages have names I picked up from Google Maps (combining two or three place names of existing villages in the Netherlands).

One of the best CC3 maps I have seen in a long time!
    Does all the symbols have their fixed meaning or are those kinda placeholders?

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    Does all the symbols have their fixed meaning or are those kinda placeholders?
    Which symbols are you referring to? Symbols like the sheep and hammers?

I love how you've given the towns and cities character by using multiple symbols. Each is unique. A really good CC3 map

DMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast