Thread: ...Make a brush that can overlap without showing what is underneath?

Question ...Make a brush that can overlap without showing what is underneath?

Im new to photoshop and I am trying to get my mountain and forest brushes to overlap so that i dont have to go back and erase the parts that show through. In example1 you can see what my problem is. example2 shows what i want it to look like after i have gone through and erased all the parts of the trees that are behind the trees that are in front.

My technique would be to start the forest by painting the trees in the back and overlap them as i paint towards the front of the forest. this would give the look in example2 with out having to go back through the entire forest and identify and erase the unwanted stuff.

This is difficult to explain, but i hope you can understand what im trying to do. Does anyone know how to do this? perhaps i should be using something other than a brush? or maybe there is a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Im using CS2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	26367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	26366  
    Last edited by Slylok; 06-28-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: additional details

You can't do it with the brush tool, but you can with the Clone Stamp tool. Try this tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ter-Brush-work
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

or just do it in Gimp.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Yup this is aggravating. So many times I've wished Photoshop brushes could be multi-color instead just multi-opacity. Trees and mountains all suffer from this. I'll have to take a look at Midgardsormr's tute.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    or just do it in Gimp.
    Yep, this is one of the few places where GIMP totally outshines Photoshop with the ability to have colored OR greyscale brushes.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    or just do it in Gimp.
    Sorry for the thread necromancy (and hijacking at that), but how would you go about to do brushes like this in GIMP?

Quote Originally Posted by maquesh View Post
    Sorry for the thread necromancy (and hijacking at that), but how would you go about to do brushes like this in GIMP?
    Make a brush and color the "insides"(remember that white is actually a color also...)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by maquesh View Post
    To add a bit more, the image must be RGB with alpha, and when saved as a gimp brush it will act like a stamp, drawing in exactly the colours/transparency as created. If it is greyscale without alpha, it will paint in the foreground colour with partial transparency based on the greyscale value.

-Rob A>