Thread: Rock climbing?

Default Rock climbing?

Any of you climb? I used to do it quite often in high school and college (20+ years ago) but haven't been but a few times since then. We just got a new gym in my town and it's pretty sweet (The Source, Vancouver, WA). The pic is from their opening party last night...that's the mayor getting in the first climb. Went today and spent about three hours, mostly bouldering. It comes back quickly but I'm not exactly in climbing shape these days so it'll take some time to build up. There's lots of great climbing in my area so maybe this will get me back into it.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vrg.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	624.6 KB 
ID:	39869  

I'm a big girl with no muscle at all! I wouldn't be able to pull myself up to the next rock haha. I tried rock climbing a few times when I was a bit younger, but I just hurt the next day so much that I didn't wanna do it again. Some day, if I'm ever in shape, I would love to try it again.

Before I fell sick with the chronic illness I have now I used to do things like this with the school groups I was in. Its fun <3 I hope one day I can overcome what I have and get back to my normal exercise and fitness routine and be able to do things like this again. I learned now to never take anything for granted~.

Bouldering is fun enough, but actual rock-climbing with harnesses and all strikes me as a terrible combination of neck pain when securing somebody, boredom while waiting for my turn and sheer bloody terror once I'm above 10 metres or so. I tried and tried to like it, but I've come to the conclusion, that walking my dog is more fun for me

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm way to fat and lazy, I'd probably hurt the rock...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What is bouldering?? Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I'm way to fat and lazy, I'd probably hurt the rock...
    lmfao
    ~May

Climbing low to the ground, no rope or other protection. You should go no higher than you can safely fall. This gym has 40'-50' of bouldering problems/routes and there's a nice 1'-thick soft mat below so falling isn't all that bad. I managed to do quite a few of the easier routes yesterday. Some of them are *very* tough (like crawling on the ceiling!) so it'll be a very long time before I can even attempt them...I was never that good even when I did it regularly.
    M

Edit: I should note that bouldering can be just as challenging (or even more so) as other forms of climbing. The gym has a SketchUp-rendered video of their facility...the bouldering section is the low bit in the back if you care to watch the video (http://www.sourceclimbing.com/#/about-us/facility). The part upstairs is for basic classes and kids' climbing/bouldering.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 11-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Any of you climb?
    M
    Yep, I do
    I mainly climb indoor, every Monday. Like you, I've been climbing during my twenties but dropped the sport because of work and moving to areas where there weren't any indoor/ outdoor facilities.
    Now that I'm in switzerland, it's kind of the national sport here, got an indoor place 5mn from home. How sweet it is!
    My level is about 6b/c (french grade) so ... 5.11a according to the wikipedia conversion
    Bouldering is not really my cup of tea, not enough excitement and adrenaline imo. but I agree it's great for technique

Cool! I imagine there's some nice climbing around you. 5.11's about what I was when I did it regularly, maybe a couple of 5.12s but I don't recall clearly...definitely not 5.13. Bouldering never *was* my thing, just what we did when we couldn't find a nice climb or didn't have the time for something longer, but I really enjoyed it this time. I'm going back Tuesday night to spend a few hours...get in some practice and shape up a bit. Climb on!
    M

See, I love bouldering. Because it's nice and low and close to the ground ... especially bouldering with mats. It's like a safer version of a jungle gym! We'd often go with a few friends and play by the numbers -> each participants takes two hand and foot holds, then the next player repeats and adds two more. And so on. Soon enough, you can't do anymore.