Thread: Generic Kingdom Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Default Generic Kingdom Map

Another of my attempt's at creating a map with GIMP..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generic Kingdom..jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	937.9 KB 
ID:	23811  
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That is totally role playable complete with blank Legend for the GM to fill in.

You seem to be picking up speed with the Gimp too.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Nice colour palette. I think making those little bridge arched might fit the style a little more. And maybe some variations in the size of the mountains (are you using a brush? if so should be easily done).
    Also! When you give the sea/water a stroke, might be worth deleting the line where it strokes the edge of the image, so that only the land has the dark blue stroke around it. Though that's personal preference of course.

Anyway, looking good!

Larb, I am using brushes, Still trying to figure out in my head the size of the mountain ratio to the rest of the map. As for deleting the water stroke on the edge is that just an eraser tool use? I'll give it a try. Everyone I do I learn a little more about GIMP but more importantly from good comments like that I learn more about proper map making. Hell, been here less then a week and the first think I do when I look at a map is look at the rivers. Damn River Police. Their making me feel like I'm in the movie 1984.
    An thanks again for the comments. One day, well in about 150 years I might become as good at this as Steel General's pinky toe... Damn he is good!!!

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, you just erase part of the stroke with the eraser tool. I usually use a soft eraser to do it before I blur it. I'm not very familiar with Gimp though as I use photoshop but I can't imagine stroking and blurring works much differently!

And anyway I doubt it'll be 150 years! I think you'll find you start to pick things up pretty quickly and each map becomes a bigger and bigger improvement. Keep all your older maps so you can compare in a few months time and I think you'll see what I mean.
    Also it's worth doing any and all tutorials even if you don't like the styles or don't intend to make that type of map because I find there is always a little trick or technique, even if it's only one, that you can pick up and use in another map.

Figured out how to erase those lines. Need a lot of work at making it look cleaner. He is another attempt, was going with a darker post world destroying magical war look. The runes all over the map are just some thing that the cartographer add to the map. There true meaning is unknown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generic World..jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	391.3 KB 
ID:	23819