Thread: How do I make road atlas style street maps?

Help How do I make road atlas style street maps?

Hello Cartographers!

I'm new here, actually I just discovered this existed, and I'm hoping you can give me a bit of assistance. I'm looking to do a map such as http://www.keanz.net/images/Auckland...l_City_Map.gif (a top-down perspective on a city) but I'm really not sure how to start. Should I draw it on paper first, and how should I do that?

I own Photoshop CS4 and Paint.NET, if that's helpful at all. Also, I'd appreciate it if any of you could link me to a tutorial on making a map like that.

Cheers
    paroxysm

Hi-

Maps like that tend to be made using vector programs as opposed to raster like CS4 and Paint.Net

Adobe Illustrator if you can afford it, Inkscape if you can't.

-Rob A>

I have downloaded Inkscape... and failed to notice how it is different from CS4 or Paint.NET. Anyway, I'll trust you that it is. Is there a tutorial anywhere about that would help me in the process of making said map?

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysm View Post
    I have downloaded Inkscape... and failed to notice how it is different from CS4 or Paint.NET. Anyway, I'll trust you that it is. Is there a tutorial anywhere about that would help me in the process of making said map?
    I'd start with the Inkscape Manual to get a feel for the program and how to use it. Making the map is then just a matter of building it up in layers:

Labels
    Grey Highways
    Yellow path Roads
    White Roads
    (not on the map but grey industrial, etc.)
    dark green parks
    light green with blue stroke land
    blue sea

To make roads (i.e. yellow with a black outline) use the path tool to draw the roads in black, then combine them all into one path. Duplkicate that path and change the stroke colour to yellow, and reduce the width by 2 pixels. This will give you the "outlined road" effect.

As many cities are on a grid, make use of the inkscape grid capability. You can have multiple grids and even axiometric angled grids.

-Rob A>