Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Photo-realistic Trees in GIMP: A Mini-Tut

Hi arsheesh. I got a question but it is not about forrest. Can you tell me something about how to made a waves on the sea?

Hi Adam, sure thing. So I had the land and the sea on separate layers. in-between the two I placed a "Shelf" layer (essentially a shallow water layer). I selected the terrain and then on the shelf layer dumped the lighter hue of blue. Then I canceled the selection and added a Guassian Blur to the "Shelf" layer (I think it was 50% or so). And that's all there is to it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Awesome Tutorial!! Are there any good variations of this for making pine trees?

Thanks Mat. There may be, but I haven't really attempted it. I'd recommend playing around with the settings for the clouds, noise and colors to see if you find something that works.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Bit late to the game here, but it's great to see stuff on the internet lasts this long.

I want to thank you for the sweet PDF. I'm only 2 pages in and I've already learned something, and I've been using GIMP since it was born, v0.2 or something. I didn't know I could save a selection *pattern* to channel.

Nice work.
    Last edited by Miven; 07-02-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Guild Novice

Also, page 2 of PDF, column 1, bottom line reads:

You should now have a set of
    clouds that look something like that displayed in Figure 2.

I believe you are speaking about Figure 3 not Figure 2. Figure 2 is the map with selections.

Guild Novice

Me again. Not pit-picking, I make sweet PDFs like this one too.

Page 3 paragraph 2, last line. Errant "If you" doesn't seem to pertain to anything.

What's your master file? ODF? Or is it lost after all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Bit late to the game here, but it's great to see stuff on the internet lasts this long.

I want to thank you for the sweet PDF. I'm only 2 pages in and I've already learned something, and I've been using GIMP since it was born, v0.2 or something. I didn't know I could save a selection *pattern* to channel.

Nice work.
    My pleasure Miven, glad the tutorial is of service to you.

Also, page 2 of PDF, column 1, bottom line reads:

You should now have a set of
    clouds that look something like that displayed in Figure 2.

I believe you are speaking about Figure 3 not Figure 2. Figure 2 is the map with selections.
    Me again. Not pit-picking, I make sweet PDFs like this one too.

Page 3 paragraph 2, last line. Errant "If you" doesn't seem to pertain to anything.

What's your master file? ODF? Or is it lost after all these years?
    No, please, feel free to nit-pick away. I try to edit my work carefully but I usually miss things and am grateful when others point these things out. I created the tutorial in Word. I'm a bit busy this weekend but sometime next week I'll have a look at the tutorial and upload a corrected version. Thanks again.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I have to say this tutorial was just what I was looking for for one of my projects. Well done! I am still getting the hang of working in Gimp and fantasy mapping that actually looks like something, haha. Here is my attempt at the steps you provided. One thing that was nice is that "Drop Shadow" is now a function.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	87538

Glad to here it TJLuke! GIMP does have a bit of a learning curve but it's a wonderful program for someone new to the craft. I wish you much success with it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast