Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-Map Art Showcase

Attached is my latest: a sketched portrait of Nak'hat, the ever-smiling bard. He is of the Mawk'hidu ethnicity, whose rough, craggy features, tawny skin, and dark eyes set them apart from the rest of humanity.

This was completely in PS by hand. Take care!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nakhat_b&w.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	429.3 KB 
ID:	1287  
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Me thinks you need to spring for a faster computer

-Rob A>
    Have you not worked with 3d Studio Max and Mental Ray yet? Mental Ray is the shizzle...And as for faster computer...I dunno..I'm running a dual core amd opteron 2214 processor with 4 gigs of Ram running windows xp64 and the 64 bit version of 3ds max...My vid card is a 1700 dollar quadro FX 4500...pre-loaded software included this machine cost you 12,000 dollars. (tax dollars).

Its the global illumination, area lighting, 8+ bounce raytracing, internal illumination on the stone, caustic lighting (render time killer), texture blending and edge rounding (shader effect), and scene glare (specular bloom) that drive the render times up...
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Attached is my latest: a sketched portrait of Nak'hat, the ever-smiling bard. He is of the Mawk'hidu ethnicity, whose rough, craggy features, tawny skin, and dark eyes set them apart from the rest of humanity.

This was completely in PS by hand. Take care!
    THAT is a suave lookin dood...and the art style looks like something you'd see on a tavern wall flyer...I love it!

Don you need a deviantart account.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Its the global illumination, area lighting, 8+ bounce raytracing, internal illumination on the stone, caustic lighting (render time killer), texture blending and edge rounding (shader effect), and scene glare (specular bloom) that drive the render times up...
    Don't take this the wrong way (!?!) but how much difference do many of those things make for a scene that looks fairly simple (in terms of polygon count)?

Like, would I notice a significant difference with/without caustics?

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Yes...the starburst light on th epedestal coming from the gemstone is all caustics. of course it could easily be faked, but I prefer the complexity because it forces me to think in regards to actual lighting.

Praise

The muted colors and the ever present grin is very sinister to me. He has a secret that keeps him smiling and most likely it involves someone's demise. Any PC I had would never be able to relax around Nak'hat. I am really enjoying this thread.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Fister View Post
    The muted colors and the ever present grin is very sinister to me. He has a secret that keeps him smiling and most likely it involves someone's demise. Any PC I had would never be able to relax around Nak'hat.
    Hahaha. Well, if you ever were to read our game logs, you'd see this is not the case. He's hilarious. Perhaps my sketch is a bit off on that--but his player always describes him as standing too close to others and showing too much teeth when he smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fister View Post
    I am really enjoying this thread.
    Me too--and I want to encourage everyone to post whatever they want here!!! I love seeing everyone's artwork; I don't want this to be Don's playground.

PS: Hey Robbie, what benefit is a deviant art account? I know very little about it!

Take care
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Blog Entries

Deviantart basically is a free website where you can post your art for others to see and comment on and see other peoples art and comment on it...its basically a big art community.

And unfortunately there is a lot of patting on the back even when the artwork sucks. What I mean by that is that I rarely see honest constructive criticism to actually help the artist improve. It really is a shame that everyone has become so PC and afraid to offend that an honest critique meant to really help gets berated. Yea, I was a victim once. I don't try to help people over there anymore because of that. YMMV.

Some of the Poser galleries are even worse though. I've seen really bad compositions, that even I could do a better job putting together, get a solid 10 rating.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Yeah I also forgot to mention that due to what RP just mentioned...DA is also a VERY big popularity contest...sux really...but it is a great place to post yer stuff because you can also sell prints...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast