15 37.50%
  • Dwarven city - tilt

5 12.50%
  • Small Trader Outpost - Xyll

1 2.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** March/April Lite Challenge Voting: Dwarf Fortress ***

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I voted for Jax, imaginative work and beautifully executed (minor type: the plural of cannon is cannon). Great work everyone! It was a hard choice and the maps were all so very different to each other.
    Awww crud. I hate it when that happens! I will go ahead and fix it for a finished version, if that's ok? At least then I might not have to live the rest of life knowing it's in print that I'm a big dope. Oh well, this is the stuff that keeps us humble. Thanks for the pointer.

EDIT: Hold on a sec...now I'm confused for sure: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cannons <--- This looks to me like it's acceptable to use Cannons for the plural.

On a side note, seeing what folks are feeling and saying as they cast their votes reminds me of something an Art teacher (who was also a professional artist) told a classroom of students I was among. He said, and I paraphrase, "Whenever you show a piece and it does not do as well as you hoped don't let it get to you. You never know what the judges are looking at. Sometimes they may only be looking at the eyeball and the entire show can be judged based on this one aspect. You could take the same piece to another show and it might win the blue ribbon. Art is subjective so remember that."

Good advice, I think, to anyone entering the challenges. You may not do well this time but there is always next time and the time after that. Just don't give up, the more you do it, the better you get.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-16-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Map Vandal came up with the goods regarding mappiness, cohesion of style, and useability. Well done.

Tilt was great too but didn't quite get there in the end. (Sorry friend.)
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

For me, it came down to Map Vandal's old-style dungeon/mine and Jaxilon's nifty fortress-at-sea. tilt's map was clever and has some nice features, but it would be a little hard to use and wasn't quite so nice to look at as the two I ended up choosing between.

Rulma's Ruby Mine includes a Waste Disposal Area. The Aquatic Fortress lacks a head and the deck design means you can do your business over the side, it'd just land on the ship. So, for reasons of sanitation, I voted for Map Vandal.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    ...So, for reasons of sanitation, I voted for Map Vandal.
    Who knew my experience as a public works engineer would garner me a vote. Always thinking about that kind of crap! Thanks rdanhenry!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Map Vandal came up with the goods regarding mappiness, cohesion of style, and useability. Well done.

Tilt was great too but didn't quite get there in the end. (Sorry friend.)
    yep.. just needed 112 more hours to get it finished - so close *lol* ... I think I tend to think to big ... my map was 5 mm to 10 feet and there is allready a lot of feet in there... but I'm dissapointed that I didn't get to get to all the "windowdressing" of the map. But as I knew that when the competetion entered - I never really reconned to be in any kind of running ... so thank to those who voted for me and repped me - it's really appreciated

But I'm ready for the next contest... comming out swinging.. or pencil toting... or mouse dragging...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    So, for reasons of sanitation, I voted for Map Vandal.
    This is my favorite reason yet for casting a vote. I'll be chuckling about it all day.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Journeyer

I had to vote for Euio, just because the style is so different and well done.

Map Vandal's was my second choice, but I had issues with the layout. (Why is there a hallway from the prison that goes to the family quarter's that doesn't pass though the guard house?)

tilt's looks too sterile and modern, more like Space Dwarfs,... which actually isn't a bad idea. Anyone else thinking of a Dwarf colony on a moon somewhere? Crap, now I've really side tracked myself from getting work done on that draft.

Jaxilon's just seems wrong to me, but only because I've been studying naval architecture in my spare time. Should have made it a submarine crawler.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Map Vandal's was my second choice, but I had issues with the layout. (Why is there a hallway from the prison that goes to the family quarter's that doesn't pass though the guard house?)
    I thought about that when I was making the prison. There truly is no need for that hallway and it actually becomes a danger since a prisoner could escape to the family quarters without going past the guard. I was originally going to remove the hallway but thought about the many different buildings that I have been in that seem to be poorly designed and figured a dwarven family that has no experience with cavern creation could easily make a few mistakes on the layout as well.

Hey Map Vandal, you gotta admit this has been a really good race to the finish so far. That folks are looking this closely at our stuff means we must have done a pretty decent job of it on this round.

You could collapse the tunnel so it would be filled with rubble because once they realized the danger I'm sure they would do something to block it off.

Just like in my ship without a head: I can think of no better use for Dwarf excrement than a miniature ballista to fling it at enemies.

Imagine: "Tharg, what the grok is that splatter on you and why do you smell like a Privy?" "It's Dwarf poo sir, Permission to be ill?" Meanwhile on deck... "INCOMING!" -shplaat- "Ahhhh! I'm blind..Pooh in my eyes, there's Pooh in my eyes!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast