Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World of Milosha

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Bah, was hoping that wasn't the case. But no biggie I'll just do all my text in CorelDraw and save it as a .png(correct) and then place it in my GIMP map.

@Jaxilon- Only issues I'm having with the Assault Fortress's is the fact that steam power is a little advanced for my world. Maybe they have a few Gnomes held hostage that have designed the steam power system along with gun powder. Always wanted to add some blunderbuss to my game. I'll just have to keep tinkering with the ideas.

Thanks for the advise guys...
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow, guess I took so long in writing that this response has become obsolete!

Well, as for your second question, I was in need of a study break so I decided to work on your map title. Here's what I've got, if you are interested, send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you the png file.

Ok here is the version with the text and color changes.
    For those of you who do hundreds of cities with nice text for there names, my hat is off to you people. Just normal types text is a pain in the butt...

It just needs a title logo and a legend box and it should be done for my first world map attempt.

Thanks to all who viewed it and helped fix the eye sore that it had in it.

Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milosha 04-16-10..jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	23858  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok
    Here is the almost final version.
    Thanks to arsheesh, for the kick ass title text. It fits in perfect.

I did a legend box for now, but like all of my stuff the text is horrible. One day I'll figure it out.

Thanks to everyone who helped...

Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milosha 04-16-10-3&.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	23860  
    Last edited by A R Frost; 04-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Woot, I found the direction I was given by RobA to create labels in Gimp - especially if you need/want to put them on a path.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I make my entire map (or as much as I can) without labels, icons, etc in gimp.
    I then do a save as to a jpg.
    I import that jpg into inkscape, select the image, then size the canvas to fit the jpg. I lock the background layer (where the image is), and create new layers for things like city labels, rivers, titles, etc. I use layer visibility to reveal only the layer I want, and export it from inkscape as a png.
    In gimp I use Open as Layer to bring in that png for final compositing (drop shadows/glows, etc.)

If I want to change text, I flip to my inkscape file and modify it there then delete the existing layer and again us Open as Layer.

When I know I'll do this a lot (like in my recent woodcut map) I used a linked layer set of scripts for gimp I reference here.

If there is interest, I can make a quick tut on it.

-Rob A>
    I'm thinking he should make a tutorial as he said this wasn't the first time he's explained it when he told me. If you are not using Inkscape I'm fairly sure you can do the same thing with another vector program.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by A R Frost View Post
    @Jaxilon- Only issues I'm having with the Assault Fortress's is the fact that steam power is a little advanced for my world. Maybe they have a few Gnomes held hostage that have designed the steam power system along with gun powder. Always wanted to add some blunderbuss to my game. I'll just have to keep tinkering with the ideas.
    Wel, the other thought that I had was making that wheel on a gear works with a galley full of slave laborers or zealot Dwarfs all cranking away like mad. I imagined two chains with as many sprockets as you can fit down there, each with it's own seat. Would be seriously tough work but with a gear master there to shift the "machine" through it's paces you could have a decent little thing going. Naturally you would need a dwarf named "Lance Armstrong", hehe.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's some pretty decent work; don't knock your abilities! Heck, we all gotta start somewhere, and your early efforts are certainly nothing to be ashamed of!

If I could change one thing about the text, it would be to add a thin 1-pixel black stroke around it to make it stand out a little more, and maybe additionally add a slight outer glow around the country names. I'm not sure if you have text effects like that in GIMP though, so if not, never mind.

Regardless, the whole thing looks very good. Repped!

I agree with Diamond, you ought to give yourself a little more credit. I also think the border was a good choice, it compliments your map nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It is coming along quite nicely. You could use a map scale to show how big this all is, if you wanted to add another thing to it.

You can make one yourself or if you like there is a script you can download for Gimp that does it for you. Found here.

I've used it since I figured out how to fill in the variables (that took me a bit of screwing around). I like to then tweak it and change things in gimp but it's a easy way to make a quick one.

FYI - There are lots of plug-ins for odd things in gimp as you will find out. Just make sure you save often as I've had some harrowing experiences not doing so.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast