Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World of Milosha

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Wip

Ok, made a few more changes.
    I added a outer glow to all the texts as Diamond suggested. Think it was a 100% improvement. I changed the red text to white, read a post last night talking about red text on a greenish background.
    I also added some main roads throughout the map.

@Diamond- When I was talking about my work as horrible I meant my text work. I'm no Steel General, by any means but at least it somewhat looks like a map now compared to my first version. And I owe that to all you wonderful people who have taken the time to help me out.

@Jaxilon-First I need to add the scale and after I downloaded the scm file, I can't figure out how to open the function in GIMP. Can you throw me another bone, please.
    Wel, the other thought that I had was making that wheel on a gear works with a galley full of slave laborers or zealot Dwarfs all cranking away like mad. I imagined two chains with as many sprockets as you can fit down there, each with it's own seat. Would be seriously tough work but with a gear master there to shift the "machine" through it's paces you could have a decent little thing going. Naturally you would need a dwarf named "Lance Armstrong", hehe.
    I have a hard time visualizing sea going dwarfs that have advanced to that stage as being slave drivers, no matter how deserving the potential slaves are. Plus no Sea Captain of the Jaxilonian Assault Fleet worth his weight in salt would allow such vile creature aboard his gallant sailing vessel.

Here is The World of Milosha map in it's next stage.

Thanks
    Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milosha 04-17-10-1&.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	23872  
    Last edited by A R Frost; 04-17-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling, why else would it need editing?
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by A R Frost View Post
    @Jaxilon-First I need to add the scale and after I downloaded the scm file, I can't figure out how to open the function in GIMP. Can you throw me another bone, please.

I have a hard time visualizing sea going dwarfs that have advanced to that stage as being slave drivers, no matter how deserving the potential slaves are. Plus no Sea Captain of the Jaxilonian Assault Fleet worth his weight in salt would allow such vile creature aboard his gallant sailing vessel.

Allan
    It looks a ton better and much easier to read now too. Good changes.

I think the Legend box is a bit strong and overrides the actual map. If you have it on a separate layer you might try lowering the opacity on the box as I think that would allow you to see through it more. (If you want it to look like a big chunk of slate sitting on the map then I think you are fine.)

If you downloaded the .scm file and moved it to the correct directory in your gimp folders. It should tell you in the readme instructions but if not you want the /script folder. Anyway, in Gimp go to 'Filters>Render>Map Scale Legend' this will pop up a window for your variables. I had to experiment with them for a bit before I understood how it worked but it creates a little scale that you can then cut/paste and drop onto your map.

So maybe no slaves, just expand the Engine room and put one of yer elephants on a big wheel like a hamster. That should get you some power
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wip

Added a map scale and toned down the text in the legend box.

Name:	Milosha 04-17-10-1&.jpg 
Views:	59 
ID:	23873  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice. I was thinking more of the background of the legend and making that more see through but it looks great so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Wip

Here is the map with the legend box faded out some.

Name:	Milosha 04-17-10-2&.jpg 
Views:	46 
ID:	23881  

I think that is better. It doesn't feel like it sucks up my eye when I open the map. Instead I look at the lands.

Wip

Messed with the land color a little bit more. I wanted it to look more green and vibrant, didn't really like a brown look that was going on. Also changed out the city/town icons.

Name:	Milosha 04-18-10-I&.jpg 
Views:	85 
ID:	23898  

This is looking good. However, I would replace that compass. It's pixelated and stands out as of lower quality than the rest of the map.

Blog Entries

Not sure if this has been addressed earlier in the thread but I think your rivers need work. At the moment they seem to be a 50% opacity blue just drawn over the top and are totally uniform in thickness. I would suggest you make them opaque (if they are already opaque then I'd suggest changing the colour on them so that they don't look semi-transparent), and take a small eraser and move along them erasing parts of them so that they are thinner at the source than the outflow into the seas.

Another change I would make, although this is far more awkward to change would be the hills. The area called Runeshire for instance is totally filled with hills. It looks cramped and messy. I would suggest altering the way you do the hills so they aren't so completely crammed in together, or delete some so there are some gaps and maybe leave them not quite so close to the edge of the land.

Sorry if this sounds over critical. I actually do like your map and the landmass shapes are really nice. But I think with a little work it could look even better.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks for the ideas Ramah, I keep finding reasons not to redo the rivers like, "The sun is shinning" and "I should go look at someone elses map right now". lol I always seem to get sidetracked when it's time to redo them. As for the hills, they and the mountains, and the forests all have the same problem. When I was putting them into the map I would find another mistake and change layers to fix said mistake and forget to switch back to the correct layer. So to make what is a minor change I have to jump through major hoops. I wanted the hills to be closely packed areas. All three of the main hilly areas on rolling hills after rolling hills with thousands of halfling homes spread all throughout them.
    I guess you can say I am being lazy with this map in some areas. After I get it finished enough for the needs of my game that starts this Sunday, I'll go back and fix the issues. I promise I'll even try to find the time this week.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast