Thread: April Entry - Untitled

Default April Entry - Barsún

I decided I'd give this mapping challenge a spin. I decided I would take a "hand-drawn" approach with this one, which is pretty time consuming. I should have enough time to get it done. This first thumbnail represents about two days of work (maybe 10-11 hours in total so far).

Some cool ideas I have mind for this map will come into play after the map itself is done. I see this map as something Boran carried around with him during his travels; spreading it out on dirty tavern tables, scribbling notes on it, spilling beer on it, setting mugs on it, etc.

Anyways, here is what i have so far.

### Latest Wip ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beer-world-1..jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	23851  
    Last edited by cereth; 04-18-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Blog Entries

That's looking great Cereth. From the thumbnail I can see that the base map stems from Tear's tutorial. Are you gonna change the looks of the sea or land colour? Or just gonna draw over the top like you are doing now? Not that it matters, Tear style maps look great, just wondering is all.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Yeah, the idea was to use the saderan tutorial for the base map and then draw on top of that. I like the parchment-like feel of it and the base colors it uses. Hopefully it'll look more unique as I get further along.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I really like the look of this. I want to zoom in more though! From what I can see, though, the hand-drawn mountains and forests blend beautifully with the base. Well done so far

Here's my latest WIP. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together. I have a long way to go in a short amount of time though.

### Latest Wip ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beer-world-2..jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	23911  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by cereth View Post
    Here's my latest WIP. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together. I have a long way to go in a short amount of time though.

### Latest Wip ###
    Ah, the story of my life right there. But it's looking good so far, and steady progress is better than no progress at all. Look forward to seeing more.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I think I am pretty much done at this point. I need to fiddle with a couple small things a little but more, like the drop shadow for example. I am pretty happy with how this has turned out. I tried some new things and feel like I really pushed myself. There is some stiff competition this month though.

### Latest WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-of-barsun..jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	24019

My Albums - My Portfolio

I like the use of handwritten notes but they are so even and straight - clearly Boran doesn't indulge while he works! The creases are very convincing.