Thread: Greetings from Asia! Check out some test maps

Map Greetings from Asia! Check out some test maps

Hi All,

I already posted once in a tutorial thread a little while back, but an old thread is hardly the place to introduce oneself, so I'll try again here.

I love maps and know a fair bit about using PS, though mostly for photo retouching, basic graphic design, and pixel art--never anything as complex as a composite map from scratch. I actually stumbled across the Cartographer's Guild while looking for ways to draw a world map for my SRPG (Olithum), which will eventually need one.

After finding the Guild a week ago, I read through lots of tutorials and tried several out. I've attached the results, though by no means are these finished maps (nor were they made with any kind of plan); I just wanted to try out the different techniques... The tutorials I followed (in order): Tear's Saderan, Pasis's mountains, and Ascension's what I like to call "dark and whispy" style, for lack of an official name. The fourth map is a small one I scratched together yesterday based on a compilation of styles and random fooling around in PS.

I'll be around...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saderan_test..png 
Views:	35 
Size:	442.5 KB 
ID:	23887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test2..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	23888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test3..jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	755.5 KB 
ID:	23889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test4..jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	23890  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff, man. Looks like you did the tuts just fine and since the fourth one is a compilation of things that you've learned I'd say really good job. Keep it up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, I'm impressed by how quickly and how well you were able to learn and execute these tutorials. Great job and welcome to the Guild. Here's some rep to get you on your way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Yeah that's really amazing...considering I have yet to finish a tutorial. I could say, 'you make me sick', but then that might sound rude rather than complementary. LOL Then again, you did have prior digital skills with the programs used in the tuts so I guess I won't turn too green

Thanks for sharing and I really hope you make more that we can see.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Good stuff, man. Looks like you did the tuts just fine and since the fourth one is a compilation of things that you've learned I'd say really good job. Keep it up.
    Thank you and everyone else here for making tutorials! You are one prolific mapper dude

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed by how quickly and how well you were able to learn and execute these tutorials. Great job and welcome to the Guild. Here's some rep to get you on your way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I just hope other experienced people will continue to share their techniques! I'll definitely take advantage of the WIP forum at some point when I'm ready to make a large map.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Yeah that's really amazing...considering I have yet to finish a tutorial. I could say, 'you make me sick', but then that might sound rude rather than complementary. LOL Then again, you did have prior digital skills with the programs used in the tuts so I guess I won't turn too green
    Heh, well, as my brother would say (and does frequently), I have waaay too much free time on my hands. And having used PS (and numerous other drawing programs) for 10+ years, it's true I did already have a head start on the technical side of things.

Off to continue messing around with some new ideas right now...

Blog Entries

Some great stuff here. It's obvious you've really understood the tutorials and used them well.

I predict great things.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I predict great things.
    And I sincerely hope your predictions come true!