Thread: Hiya peeps! Please help me!

Help Hiya peeps! Please help me!

HI! I am new here. I came here because I need to make a map of a world for my story that I am writing. I don't have Photoshop or anything, and I was wondering how I should make my map. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to read my story, or what I have of it so far, email me at kaileypuppies@yahoo.com. I love to write but if I ever publish this book I want it to have a map, and I am not sure how to make one! Please help!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My best advice for anyone is to do this: close your eyes, relax, breath, and think. Think about what sort of places the people are going to go to...desert dunes, frigid polar regions, jungles with gorillas, etc. Once you have it in your mind these sorts of things, think about how long it will take to travel to each place. Now you know what the continent should have...what sort of areas need to be there and how far apart they should be. Open your eyes and sketch something, anything, on paper. It doesn't have to look great but should look more than just a giant circle that says "world". Look at some other maps to see what coastlines look like...all jagged and in and out with weird shapes. Try to sketch something really jagged like broken glass pieces. Then go back and add detail. Then add more detail...refine refine refine until you get something that you like.

Now that you have a shape go back and put in things like rivers, mountains, forests, and canyons. If you find that things are too close together and don't fit the story quite right, just refine the coast somewhere to make it fit. When all else fails, ask one of us to draw ya something
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

If you are curious about mapping software, there are several discussions about this topic floating around the forum somewhere, however I would suggest starting out by reading Ravell's "Quickstart guide to fantasy mapping" sticky located at the top of the member's introduction forum. This little post covers most of the basic issues that you should be aware of when starting out. My own preference is to use GIMP, a freeware program that you can download for free here. Also, take a peek at the tutorials section as well, there are allot of great walk throughs that can help you get on your way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Default Thank you!

Thank you guys, I will check out the links. You're all awesome. Those were really helpful. Thanks so much!!!

-KPuppies