Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Buried Temple needed - someone help me?

Help Small Buried Temple needed - someone help me?

I need a map (usable with MapTool) for an introductory adventure for my campaign. It's a small temple, thousands of years old and totally overgrown with jungle vegetation.

I'll write some of its background so that a potential mapmaker could get a bit of the overall feeling I have in mind for this. First of all, we play D&D 3.5 in the Forgotten Realms.

Thousands of years ago, a small coven of priestesses (about 5 or 6) worshipped Ashtir, a local goddess of healing and lifeforce. But the pantheons changed and Ashtir lost her power. The priestesses closed the temple and lived there until they died. Each of them got a small sidechamber for her burial. Well, maybe they used the rooms they had for this. The last to die, the former high-priestess, died in front of the altar.
    Over the course of the centuries the temple was overgrown with vegetation from the nearby jungle.
    Nevertheless it got raided by temple-raiders a few times, but each time they were repelled and sometimes killed - by the ghosts of the priestesses, converted to banshee-like creatures guarding their former temple.

The PCs follow some would-be robbers and stumble (after them) over or better into the temple because the robbers fell through a kind of hill. This hill is composed mainly of shrubs and the like and it spans over a part of the temple. The robbers decide to explore and maybe rob the unknown structure - the PCs follow to have a fight in the altar-room.

I want the temple to radiate a feeling of old, I'd like to have some of the vegetation visible in the corridors and rooms. It shouldn't be shiny, more dirty and ruined. I'd like the altar-room accessible only from one entrance. In the back of the altar-room should be something like an inner sanctum where the priestesses kept their ritual gear.

I want the players to be able to explore the temple in one session, so there shouldn't be more than app. 6-8 rooms.

Who would like to take care of my problem because I totally SUCK with anything related to creative (sans descriptions, maybe). ?!?
    I don't NEED this map fast, I won't start the campaign this year, but I'd LIKE to get it in the next few weeks

The mapmaker would have the copyright of the map, I'd just use it in my campaign privately.

I like the style of this map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1241266439
    Last edited by Stryke; 04-18-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos, additional information

Sounds like a fun map to make. There are a few around here to make them for VTTs. I have not made anything for a VTT yet so I'm still hazy on the specs in doing so. I'm sure one of the peeps who know will be along soon though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well, to pass the time you could have a go at it to test making a map for a VTT for yourself

I'm thinking about it. I want to get into doing them for myself but when I basically failed at getting what I was after with Maptools I figured I needed to start out just learning the digital tools. I'm pretty new to doing art digitally and at times I fight more with the software than anything else If I come up with something that looks right I will share. I'm pretty slammed for the next couple weeks with other obligations that unfortunately have little to do with art so don't count on me.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I'm not really in a hurry, so I wouldn't mind waiting

Ok, so I started trying to put something together on this just to see how far I could get. It being my first VTT map I was somewhat at a loss on how certain settings should be. Thus, in order to make sure I wasn't charging off down the wrong path I created a WIP thread here to get advice.

Anyway, if you are interested take a look at the thread and let me know if anything along those lines would suffice. You are certainly welcome to use that one but I imagine you will want one that is a bit more secret. I probably would if it was me, that way when I finally unveiled it folks would need to go change their shorts....LOL, ok, I wish I was that good.

Also, that WIP is not finished yet. If anything close to this style works for your needs I might be able to take care of them Also, anything done differently that you might prefer would be helpful as well.

If the style is not what you are looking for it's no problemo I have enjoyed doing this and the idea was yours, so thanks.

Cheers!

With this quality of work I almost consider it a sin to ask for anything different, even details. But if you would allow me to voice my wishes and give me an honest answer if they are ok or require too much effort we could consider this request taken

Let's go for it, I need the experience and there is no time crunch on this so I'm up for it if you are. Worst we can do is create a mess and then we can just say it got hit by a bomb from another dimension.

Just a reminder that I will be gone starting Saturday for a whole week. I am taking my sketchbook so between margaritas I may scratch out some ideas. Thus, if you can fill me in on what you have in mind I'll see what I come up with. Between Margaritas of course

Did I mention Margaritas? LOL
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-07-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Blog Entries

If Jax is up for it then great but there was a temple challenge a while back which GP won with that nice sea god temple thing if I remember rightly. The challenge was not one of ours tho - it was a prize driven multi page PDF type thing. If anyone has the link then post !

Edit -- s'alright here it is:
    http://www.ironcrown.com/index.php?page=contests/temple
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-07-2010 at 10:37 AM.

The Ice Temple is totally awesome, but I absolutely cannot incorporate it in my campaign as it is more a jungle-like setting. Outstanding work, though.
    Jaxilon, as long as you don't place a shelf full of Margaritas (better: an image of said shelf) into the map, I am very happy to have you as my designated temple map-maker
    Cause you already have that WIP-Thread I think we could continue discussing the details and/or changes there or via PM.

@Mods: I consider this Request taken.
    Last edited by Stryke; 05-07-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast