Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thule- The World Of Gates

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Thule- The World Of Gates

My latest commission, made for a Pathfinder campaign world by Tahsin Shamma. This is the small version (for uploading it here), visit the campaign site, where you can see the map in its full size.

Map itself made in PS, labelling, deco etc in Illustrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thule final smal&#108.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	23907  

Looks very good Sapiento. I like the symbols and the fact that you didn't use too many of them. I had some problems adjusting to the land/oceans (thinking the oceans were land and vice versa) but it's all good now I think the colors messed with me a bit (the oceans are brown and the land looked a bit blue at first, although it's green of course).

Have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, that is NICE! Like Gandwarf, I had a little bit of trouble telling land and sea apart at first, but in spite of that, I really like the color choices. I also really like those city and town icons - now I want to create some of my own in a similar style. (After all, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ) Repped!

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Very Nice, Your map has a nice over all feel to it. I to was offset a little by the water. When I first looked at the area that I now know are lakes I thought they where mesa's. I mistook the depth/wave lines in them for contour lines. On that note how do you make those lines? ( I use GIMP, but I'm sure It's a similar process.)
    That's the look I want for my maps but I always seem to end up making a big blurred mess around my land masses instead of neat lines.
    Great Job keep up the good work!!!
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you all!

The land/sea matter seems to be a 'first-look' problem! ;-)

@A R Frost: I use either an outer glow for the coastlines, or a path. Both techniques make fine results.

Very nice Sep, a pleasure to scroll around through and look at.

I had never heard of Seadragon before either, that is a pretty cool little app. I will have to explore it a bit myself.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks, Jax.
    Initially I had planned some monsters for the map as deco, but they hadn't fit into the look. Finally my monsters ended up as sea creatures for the campaign. I don't know when Tahsin will post the images.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Thanks, Jax.
    Initially I had planned some monsters for the map as deco, but they hadn't fit into the look. Finally my monsters ended up as sea creatures for the campaign. I don't know when Tahsin will post the images.
    Just as soon as I can write up some stats. Hey, come to think of it, I don't need stats right away, just some good description.

I'll post those now.

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/campaign...-sea-of-scales
    Last edited by veector; 04-19-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by veector View Post
    Just as soon as I can write up some stats. Hey, come to think of it, I don't need stats right away, just some good description.

I'll post those now.

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/campaign...-sea-of-scales

This was fast!

I just received word from Ralf Schemann, ProFantasy, that this map style will be featured in ProFantasy's Cartographer's Annual 2010 September edition.
    The guild is favorably mentioned in the article!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast