Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free - Hand Drawn Town Buildings

Thanks for these.

For convenience, I ran your image through a script I have to divide scanned images and got the individual houses as png files. I also ran it through a batch gimp brush converter.

Note that in Gimp 2.8 (coming soon) you can rotate brushes dynamically.

In the meantime there is a rotate brush script I have seen kicking around somewhere.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey, these are great! Thanks for sharing. Consider yourself repped.
    M

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Thanks to all for the nice comments! And special thanks to RobA... I would rep you but I have to spread the love before I can rep you again.

I think that the next part of this town map style is the trees... I think I will try my hand at those next and post some... there is a whole hand drawn style to this kind of town map and the buildings just don't seem to look right if the other elements around them are not done in the same style... maybe the hand drawers out there will help post some elements for this style... *wink... wink* then this could turn into a town map thread.

Just a thought...

-RPGMM
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Outstanding!!!! And much thanks for these. Most definitely a repable post.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I added some tree elements to the original post... as I work on more elements I will edit that post to include the new things there.

As always I welcome feedback and requests.

-RPGMM
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

I started working on some castle elements for A R Frost and have developed an early test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle-1a..jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	24102

I first tried to use regular PS shapes... that gave me the one on the top right, then I made the black one on the top left, then I switched gears and tried to model it in Lightwave 3D to give me something as reference. I also looked at satellite pictures of real castles... and finally I did the one in the top middle using a modification of the line drawing stuff I did before... there are only two pieces right now... the tower and wall. I will make square towers and rounded walls and some other things then put it all together and see what I can build with the parts to show what can be done.... So, more to follow soon

The base parts will be just the line drawings as before so the hardest part will be shadows once people try to color them.

-RPGMM

For the shadows. Could you release shapes with 2-3 layers as separate elements. Then we could put them into a graphics program and put shadows on the uprights for example....

Just a thought.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

This is the quick color mock-up to show what might be possible with the stuff I have made so far...

Name:	Castle_Test-1.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	24128

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    For the shadows. Could you release shapes with 2-3 layers as separate elements...
    I like the idea... but that would take much longer as I would need to make shadows from every angle... in the end I think you would get a better overall product if you color and shadow the line art for the map you are working on that way everything matches. I am not opposed to making some full quality color versions of the elements so that it is less work for you all... but the shadows are one of those things that will bring the map together and if they don't match can ruin the effect IMO. (just look at the cheesy ones I used in the color image below)

Here is a start to the castle they are just normal .png files without transparency. Just set to multiply and color... The last file is the wall parts and a stairway to get up to the towers. For the walls just line up the parts to make them as long as you need then merge them together copy and flip the copy vertically to make the other half... the darker line of the wall is the outside edge.

Name:	Tower-1.png 
Views:	581 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	24126

Name:	Tower-2.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	24125
    Name:  Wall-1.png
Views: 1110
Size:  5.8 KB

I may do a video on how these were made and how I color, just to show how I do things and try to get others to make some line art for this town elements project.

Comments, cirques, and ways I can make things better or easier to use are always welcomed!

-RPGMM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast