Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free - Hand Drawn Town Buildings

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

These symbols are really great!

Incredibly awesome contribution; just downloaded Boslok's Todes Grube mountains & trees resources - these will complement really well. For those of you with PS, I went ahead and created Photoshop brushes of all the images RobA has uploaded. I have CS4, so I apologize to those of you who won't be able to use these.

- Alizarine

RobA_Mapping_Brushes.zip
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Quote Originally Posted by alizarine View Post
    Incredibly awesome contribution; just downloaded Boslok's Todes Grube mountains & trees resources - these will complement really well. For those of you with PS, I went ahead and created Photoshop brushes of all the images RobA has uploaded. I have CS4, so I apologize to those of you who won't be able to use these.

- Alizarine

RobA_Mapping_Brushes.zip
    Sorry alizarine, but they aren't mine. I just cut the building images apart!

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    Sorry about not tailoring this for GIMP but... I don't use it and after playing with it, I am not going to... mostly because I already know how to use Photoshop and the interface and tools in GIMP are just different enough to make it not worth it for me. But if you already know GIMP the terms I use should work in GIMP with some looking around.
    Sorry for the Necro, but I would still suggest getting to know GIMP even if you don't use it primarily. There are a few things it can do significantly better (or even exclusively) over photoshop. If I had the money for PS, I would likely buy it and use it, but still use GIMP for the few things it does superior(or again, things PS just can't do).

Out of the box things GIMP does that PS can't(at least this is my understanding, which could be wrong):

• Better cloud variation (ie, size/scale as well as "sharpness")
    • Full color brushes!!!!!!
    • Animated Brushes(part of this has to do with GIMP's lack of brush dynamics, but there are cases where this is a real honest to goodness stand alone feature worth having.)
    • Scriptability

There might be some other things I missed.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Two words to add to jfrazierjr's list: Bump Map. The lighting/beveling/embossing photoshop has to offer have always felt way too rounded (not to mention COMPLICATED) to me. GIMP is much easier. Height map -> Bump Map -> 3d!

These buildings and trees are awesome. Thanks for posting them!

Guild Novice

Hi rpgmapmaker,

did this with your brushes. They rock!

Attachment 44743

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Wow! I really like the way you use the clumps of trees to make large forests. Keep it up!
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Raederle's Avatar

I like the style of art, but I prefer to make maps from a more decorative 3/4 view (not top down). I'd love to see your buildings from more angles.

~ Raederle

Sorry about resurrecting a thread, but not only were these elements (the initial houses) helpful, the mini-tutorial was helpful too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123