Thread: GIMP question.

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Default GIMP question.

I want to take my World of Milosha map, and clip out each kingdom/country section so I can created individual images of each area that can be used in the players pdf I'm creating and to also add my own notes to each area. Would it just be a lasso tool use?
    Second question: How would I go about making kingdom/country border lines on my map?
    If these question have already been answered in another post please point me in the right direction if it isn't too much of a hassel. I have combed over the forums almost constantly for the last week looking for these answers and ways to improve my maps.

Thanks for any help.

Allan
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Lasso tool might be a little rough for clipping them out.. but i suppose it could work.... It's really best to build your map that way to begin with (0: (dont you hate that kind of advice) ha

Actually, you might want to try Inkscape out. It is vector based and would probably help you with drawing borders as well as placing text.. and most importantly.. anything you do in vectors can be scaled without data loss or pixelation. You should be able to bring your map into the program on a layer. I use Illustrator so I haven't used Inkscape for a long time.. i just tried to open it to see if i could offer you more advice but it doesn't want to run on my mac anymore. I'll try it out on my pc tomorrow and see what i can find out.

I know you can import your map from Gimp into Inkscape as a layer. I think we just went over how to do this for labels about two days ago so I'll assume AR has it down.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

@Jaxilon- HAHAHAHAHA You know what happens when you ASSUME... lol
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

LOL, yes. Hopefully you can follow those directions though to bring your map into Inkscape and do what you want with it. I know you will want to use Inkscape for your lettering in the future anyway so you may as well suck it up

I'm in the same boat, I've only done it once or twice myself so I'm no expert.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt