Thread: Land of Ice

Wip Land of Ice

I decided to try out an ice map, since I haven't really seen many of those around. No pre-planning whatsoever, and it seems like I ended up wasting all my space on icebergs, so nothing else will really fit nicely...

Unrealistic mountain, yes, but it looks neat pushing up through the ice. I have another version with a glassy volcano there instead, but upped this one.

Not really sure what else to do with an ice map that doesn't have enough room for any kind of real civilization or unique features, thought I'd throw it out there to see what fellow guild members think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test5..jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	23926  
    Last edited by gejiaxu; 04-19-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's pretty cool looking actually. As for other stuff to put on there, well you could put in nomadic hunting grounds or travel routes, mineral or animal resource icons, ruins (maybe the land used to be more temperate), all kinds of stuff.

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Looks nice, Nice thinking out of the box. You could always add Superman's home or Santa's Toy Shop. But maybe an old ruined wizards tower that belongs to an age long forgotten, and has recently been revealed due to greenhouse effect and climate warming.
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I do like the idea of a wizard's tower and/or ruins out there. The idea that it used to be more temperate is a good lead to follow, though being almost totally ice (in my perception, anyway) might make that a bit difficult to pull off. Of course, the funky mountain already makes it less realistic overall... Could always remove it and then I have the whole continent to play with again

I was originally imagining some seafaring humanoid race that makes their home here, building floating cities on the bergs.
    Olithum - 2D turn-based SRPG featuring realistic and individually autonomous AI for every entity

Nice map and I can really dig the idea behind this. Last month I worked on an ice type map as well, I was trying to show a glacier over a continent. I finished it but i really think I dropped the ball on the real implications of what effects a glacier would have on a continent. I really should have done more research.

I'm curious where this is located in relation to the rest of the planet, is it at one of the poles or is this a cold world and this is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Boslok View Post
    I'm curious where this is located in relation to the rest of the planet, is it at one of the poles or is this a cold world and this is the norm.
    Well, it's not based on a very developed idea, but I imagined it as being a section of a world entirely composed of ice. I suppose I'm forcing myself to focus on the limited possibilities provided by a more uniform world to see what I can come up with, because it's easy to make a map that has a variety of landscapes since there's so much to choose from.

It's definitely more difficult to define enough interesting details in a uniform landscape to make the map interesting...

I'm also working on a desert map with the same idea in mind.
    Olithum - 2D turn-based SRPG featuring realistic and individually autonomous AI for every entity

Another thing that could be marked on the map is the crash site of that stupid Satellite, whose blackbox is now on the Most Wanted list of 9 out of 10 Mega corporations.

Civilzation is overrated.
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

Map Freosan

Decided to add a bit of civilization out there (::looks at Baziron's post:: ...doh!), though not quite sure what they're doing yet.

Also added some labels for fun.

And a couple navigational lines, too.

Mostly added an incomplete variety of stuff just to see how the style looks at this point. I probably want to move the title up near the left corner to balance the image overall, but that would require removing an island or two, so I stuck it where it fit in the bottom left for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freosan 02.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	24336  
    Last edited by gejiaxu; 05-02-2010 at 04:56 AM.