Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Veil Vale - an experiment

Post Good ole' Ravenloft!

RobA> - that reminds me how much I miss Ravenloft, and Strahd - its been ages! I miss the guy!

Anyway, like I said, I originally got the idea of layered land from Sean MacDonald, cartographer for E.N. Publishing War of Burning Sky campaign maps - his work is all hand-drawn as well, but he uses this "bevel" like effect at the edges of his terrain levels - very similar to this Ravenloft map.

I mentioned this in my October Challenge WIP - so I don't claim to have invented this idea!

That's where the idea came from, I just knew I could create beveled layers in Xara, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It looks cool and really helps you see the depth or rather height of the elevations in front of you, but not altogether realistic - still it is a map and not a photograph, or at least not intended to be.

This map shows extensive use of the beveled, stacked terrains - nice one Rob!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-09-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added a point...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    RobA> - that reminds me how much I miss Ravenloft, and Strahd - its been ages! I miss the guy!
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mg/un

Take a look about halfway down the page to see Strahd. Near the bottom is one of his minions.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I mentioned this in my October Challenge WIP - so I don't claim to have invented this idea!
    I was going to post there but the challenge threads get locked after the challenge, so I stuck it here where you used a similar technique!

-Rob A>

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456