Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Veil Vale - an experiment

Wip Veil Vale - an experiment

I liked how the exterior map in my October challenge turned out, especially the bevel terrain elevations on the hill. So I thought I'd experiment with this technique in Xara further.

The following is supposed to be a vale of three waterfalls, though only two are in view on this map. The elevation is not defined so a GM could say its 10 feet, 20 feet or 50 feet between each. This is a fairly deep canyon.

Every "stack" of terrain, I applied a different ground texture just to help define each elevation level another experiment.

You will notice a path to the right of the bottom waterfall. There is supposed to be an oracles cave under the second falls, haven't developed that yet.

Heavy on graphics again, probably good for VTT though. I'm having fun with this. Oh the waterfalls are stacked objects both with transparency, one with a fractal cloud filter, the other with a fractal plasma filter.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veilvale.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	944.3 KB 
ID:	1143  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-17-2007 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added point
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I like it. It has a very individual style to it, and the bevels / stacks really add depth to the picture. It almost looks like it's been built in real life to place miniatures on - i.e. it looks like a miniature model rather than a realistic depiction which I think works better for VTT type games as the map is very clear, so lines of sight etc would be easier to establish.

Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It almost looks like it's been built in real life to place miniatures on - i.e. it looks like a miniature model rather than a realistic depiction which I think works better for VTT type games as the map is very clear, so lines of sight etc would be easier to establish.
    I like it too, and under 1Mb, it's the right sort of size for a VTT. I agree with Ravells. The picture looks like a minature model diorama rather than a photorealistic view. The grass texture even looks like the felt you use on physical models. It's ideal. Very nice work, when does the map pack come out?
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Interesting technique!

It gives the image a very distinctive look.

-Rob A>

Praise

Using the different textures for each level of terrain was a fantastic idea.

I think by incorporating more shadows you could really give deeper parts of the vale a more 3D look with greater depth. Maybe even place some trees next to a "drop off" and give the shadow a "stepped" look to provide some reference perspective.

Nice looking map. It's essentially how you'd build a three-d terrain using sheets of cardboard cut to represent different levels of elevation.

I gather that VTT stands for virtual terrain tile, but what are VTT's used for?

Info VTT is Virtual Table-Top

Quote Originally Posted by helium3 View Post
    Nice looking map. It's essentially how you'd build a three-d terrain using sheets of cardboard cut to represent different levels of elevation.

I gather that VTT stands for virtual terrain tile, but what are VTT's used for?
    Though RPMiller is more of an expert on this than I, however, VTT stands for Virtual Tabletop. Programs like Battlegrounds and the Open-Source MapTool, view photorealistic maps, allow you to place a grid or hex at your scale, place trees, in some cases provide "fog of war" which hides areas of map that players shouldn't be able to see based on line of sight and light conditions or fog, etc.

These programs are used as "in play" for online "tabletop gaming" or on display as an aid to actual table top gaming.

My expertise is printing, I'm trying to get the handle to this digital only map market.

Like I said, ask RPMiller, he knows more...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I like it. It has a very individual style to it, and the bevels / stacks really add depth to the picture. It almost looks like it's been built in real life to place miniatures on - i.e. it looks like a miniature model rather than a realistic depiction which I think works better for VTT type games as the map is very clear, so lines of sight etc would be easier to establish.

Good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    I like it too, and under 1Mb, it's the right sort of size for a VTT. I agree with Ravells. The picture looks like a minature model diorama rather than a photorealistic view. The grass texture even looks like the felt you use on physical models. It's ideal. Very nice work, when does the map pack come out?
    I agree with both assessments. It would have to be bigger to work in a VTT though, but it is hard to judge without a scale of some sort. The sample looks like it has been reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Though RPMiller is more of an expert on this than I, however, VTT stands for Virtual Tabletop. Programs like Battlegrounds and the Open-Source MapTool, view photorealistic maps, allow you to place a grid or hex at your scale, place trees, in some cases provide "fog of war" which hides areas of map that players shouldn't be able to see based on line of sight and light conditions or fog, etc.

These programs are used as "in play" for online "tabletop gaming" or on display as an aid to actual table top gaming.

My expertise is printing, I'm trying to get the handle to this digital only map market.

Like I said, ask RPMiller, he knows more...
    Nope. You gave a decent enough explanation. Although MapTool isn't open-source per the full definition, but close enough and it is free.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Info Yes, its a reduced image...

Yes, its a reduced image. This map is actually a 24" x 36" map at 1 inch = 5 feet scale.

I have created a 200 pixel = 5 feet version in PNG format but its around 22 MB, I have also created 100 pixel = 5 feet version in compressed JPG format around 1.2 MB, and just to see about doing it, created a 50 pixel = 5 feet that taps in at 333 KB.

I can upload and post links to these files if anyone's interested...
    DrivethruRPG store

Do you have a 100 pixel = 5' version that is a PNG? I would be happy to test that out and post a little something from MapTool so that those that may not know what a VTT looks like will have a better idea.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast