Thread: Sunken City-State of Ketia

Wip Sunken City-State of Ketia

Just playing right now, using the techniques I learned in this month's challenge and the Veil Vale experiment.

I'm working on one of the many sunken city-states of the Fallen Lands, the campaign world I'm developing on Eruvian.com

You'll noticed I robbed the content from my challenge, though I may actually create new structures (haven't decided yet, as these structures are appropriate)

This is an ancient greco culture, and Ketia was the first city, founder of the civilization and greatest capital in the known world until it fell into the sea, 40 years ago during the cataclysm.

Anyway - playing with some underwater plants and plant-like sealife. I used 3D to generate that fractal sea bottom. I'm just starting out - any suggestions?

I really want to do some relief map structures in a regional sea bottom map, as well. This is the first of several sunken city-states I need to develope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sargosi.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	1264  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

My first thought is that the seaweed / kelp is too large in comparison to the model so it looks like a scale model at the bottom of a fishtank, I think the large pebble texture adds to this - (which is great if you're after a miniature model feel)....the seaweed itself has a lovely slightly fuzzy quality to it. You might want to put in some caustics as an overlay? - not sure it might be a little too cliched, but worth a try just to see how it looks.

Info Pebbles supposed to be rubble...

The "gravel" or "pebbles" is supposed to rubble, if you'll notice the squarish shape of the rubble areas. I plan to create some broken columns and other structures more than just a pile of pebbles, but this is the first step.

Regarding the kelp, it can grow to over one hundred feet in length with each "leaf" growing several feet from the stem. So is the kelp too big, really, or do I need to place some other form of scale in the map, so you can get the feel that this isn't a miniatures scene.

I actually put a very subtle caustics transparent layer on top of the whole thing, I increased the transparency, as the caustics caused a kind of blurring to some of the image at lower levels of transparency setting.

Again, I'm only in the experimental stages at the moment.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Changed the inside of the temple...

Ah, the freedom of not being trapped in the rules of a challenge. I wanted to recreate the interior map of the temple, without being trapped into having to follow the architecture of a photo. In this version, I placed the main entrance at the location of the Apse, but used the one large open room that I did not use before. I also replaced the vestries with stair leading down to the underchambers beneath the temple.

I need to work on better 3D statues of Sargos and a better tileable flagstone texture, other than that, this is close to completion.

Note: I've stopped including grids on most of my maps, now (for the sake of VTT)

Oh, for scale, I placed an Aboleth in the upper left corner of the main temple chamber - since an Aboleth is about 18 feet long, this temple is the same size as my challenge temple. (Although an aboleth is in this campaign world, there is not one here...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sargoseum.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	1301  
    DrivethruRPG store

Info Oh the Seaweed objects are PD Particle objects

Oh, that lovely fuzzy quality seaweed, kelp, seagrass and sponge/coral objects were all created in PD Particle!

Just thought I'd mention that!
    DrivethruRPG store

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the lighting effect you put on there from the windows...though also you should throw on a caustic effect really lightly over the whole thing and tint the whole thing maybe slightly blue-green?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin