Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: April Challenge Entry - Breweries of the World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip April Challenge Entry - Breweries of the World

I was going to take a break from doing challenge maps so that I could concentrate on my Himin Reica project. But something about this challenge kept calling to me, and, I eventually gave in. The only problem I saw was that I was getting a late start and, as is often the case, I feared not having enough time to finish given the fact that I tend to try to work through Wilbur and Terragen. As I read through the challenge requirements, however, it occurred to me that neither Wilbur nor Terragen would be required for this challenge. Rather, I went to FTPro and cycled through worlds until I found something I thought I could work with. I snagged a few different screen shots to lay out the coast lines, some sea shading and lat/long lines and settled for a "quarter" world perspective similar to the one used in one of the old Forgotten Realms guides I once owned.

I've yet to lay out any features or locations, but I do have my brushes (tubes) set up and should be able to paint them in fairly quickly once I've decided where things are going to go. For the moment, however, I'm hungry, so I'll head out to breakfast, take a printout of the blank map and see what kind of progress I can make. Hopefully I'll have an update to post in a few hours. For now, here's the blank map with some sea shading and the lat/long lines.

The only other thing I am worried about is "size." I might have to sacrifice a bit of resolution to give myself a bit more physical room to work in features and labeling.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Map 2..jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	991.0 KB 
ID:	23929  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-19-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Adding Info
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Cool. I take it your (over)work issues are now resolved. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Looks interesting so far.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Eh, not really solved, per-si, but more manageable now, which gives me a bit of free time. Not much, mind you, but since I'm keeping this fairly simple (all done in an older version of Paint Shop with only a few layers), I'm not expecting it to take me a great deal of time like the erosion sequences Wilbur and renderings in Terragen do.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Wip

Not much of an update here. For the most part, I spent a bit of time cleaning up along the coastal areas and enlarging things just a bit so that I'd have a bit more room to lay in features. Also added a simple cartouche, but that may change over time.

GW

Name:	Base Map 3..jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	911.1 KB 
ID:	23941  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    GW

Wip

A feature and labeling test for thoughts and suggestions. I kind of feel like the features need to be a bit bigger, but I'm worried that if I make them much bigger, they'll end up being overly dominant. Maybe what I'll do is make the features a bit larger only in the main area and leave those features out in the "unexplored" areas on the smaller side. Same goes for the labeling, though I have a bit more room to play in that regard.

GW

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Base Map 4..jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	933.2 KB 
ID:	23946  
    GW

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like what you're doing here so far. I really like the edge where the mountains are and I think you should make some of those go outside of the arc of the globe...really make it feel 3d.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You know, that's a right fine idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

GW
    GW

Wip

Managed to get some more work done on this map. Dropped in additional terrain features (including Ascension's suggestion about extending beyond the edges just a bit) and started labeling some of the known locations. Still got a ways to go, but progress is steady and I'm seeing no reason why I shouldn't be able to finish this before the challenge deadline.

GW

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Base Map 8..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	23954  
    GW

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast