Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Challenge Entry - Boran's map

Wip April Challenge Entry - Boran's map

This is my first entry to a challenge, in fact my first post to CG, but I've lurked here for a long time and picked up a number of techniques thanks to the excellent tutorials offered here by very helpful artists.

I really like the idea of using a fantasy world to market a product (esp. beer) so I'm looking forward to being able to work on something for FBM.

So I'm starting out with a basic quadranted border and relief map, which I just noticed will have to be toned down for the final product, because satellite relief isn't allowed. I hope to put some cool calligraphy on the right outside of the map area. Not sure if that's allowed, but I'm going for it anyway!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boran_wynald1..jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	554.2 KB 
ID:	23930  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

... and good to see a "rookie" jump right in on a challenge - good luck to you.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome. And that's a great outline to start with.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Just as SG said, it's great to see the "noobs" jump right into the thick of things. And it looks like you're off to a fine start.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Wip

Thanks everyone. I don't know if starting a challenge before posting some maps is the best approach, but I couldn't resist this one. Also, I have been a long-time lover of the art of cartography and I've seen a few really amazing examples of it here. I have been a professional graphic designer for over a decade but I rarely get a chance to be creative in this way.

I think a fantasy map should have some gold and silver and a dagger, for stabbing orcs while drinking beer.

Name:	boran_wynald03..jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	684.8 KB 
ID:	23953  

Wip

I doubt Boran would make a map without a cold mug at his side. I should probably start adding some actual place names before I run out of time.

Name:	boran06..jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	698.5 KB 
ID:	24051  

Map Finished map

Hmm, looks like I didn't read the rules very carefully and I might be too late with this, but for the sake of posterity here is my mostly finished map. This was fun, wish I had more time to devote to it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Boran10.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	24303  
    Last edited by Steel General; 05-01-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added '### Latest WIP ###' so thumbnailer would pic it up.

Blog Entries

calydon... I think you're on to something with the over-sized cities. The entire presentation smacks of a movie poster, which for obvious reasons can be a very good thing.

One thing I would try in your shoes is putting a three or four-pixel black outer glow on the coins to pull them up off the underlying paper. The background paper could stand a bit of scuffing up as well. No lack of good grunge brushes out there and almost everything you try with weathering achieves a new and interesting effect.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone, and thanks for the tips, Immolate- I will try that out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast