Thread: Firs Map

Wip Firs Map

Hey all. Just posting my first WIP. I'm done with all the geogrphical features (I think) and am now chewing the end of a metaphorical pencil over where to put the civic features.

Thoughts, comments? All welcome and apriciated.

H.H.

Tutorial Credit
    Just forgot to mention the tutorial that I followed. It was RobA's. (Credit due where deserved)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 2-3..jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	23935  
    Last edited by HolyHair; 04-19-2010 at 04:57 PM.

First off, I like this map, especially how you did the rivers (I think they look very nice). I think it's a great example of RobA's tutorial. I think you could probably improve the forests by going in and erasing where they overlay the rivers, just so it looks like the rivers cut through the foliage. I don't know if you used layer masks, but assuming you did, you can do a small (10-20 px?) gaussian blur on the layer mask of the forest so that it blends in nicely with the surroundings. These are, of course, just suggestions-otherwise, a great first effort!

As for civic features, your instincts are probably pretty good-every town needs water (which doesn't just have to come from rivers, it can come from wells and other sources) and/or some natural resource to keep it going. For example, you could put a town at the intersection of the two large rivers in the top right-it would have access to a lot of trade going through (probably).

Wip

I did a little work, not much because my bro is hoggin the pc, but here it is. I messed with th mountain colour and threw on some tips, as well as cutting through the forest masks for the rivers. Enjoy.

Name:	Map Shropmearca-4&#4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	23997  

I have (after too long) gotten back to mapping. Heres the latest thumnail. I darkened the overal look and added roads and towns. I have to brainstorm for town names now. Comments are all apreciated.
    H.H.

Name:	Map Shropmearca-5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	28244  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks nice except for the mtns. The middle parts look kind of washed out so I'd do up some more, but smaller, mtns and then stick them on top of the middle parts to cover that up. Also, the rivers should be blue to match the ocean. Colors look great and everything looks logical, nice job so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps