Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video of WOTC upcoming VTT software

Yup. There are many folks that use VTTs only in face to face gaming just because they want the features that they offer that enhances the gaming experience most notably Fog of War and Vision Blocking. Both of which are extremely difficult to manage on a table top.

I'll be working on a demo of what current VTTs have to offer probably this evening and I'll post it up so that those that may have never seen one in action can get a feel for it.

As for the projector/laptop setup, one serious word of caution. Do not use the white board. For those that aren't real picky, it will work, but for the majority it will irritate the heck out of you. It would be better to project on to a wall than to use that white board. The best idea is to get a screen or a big sheet of matte finish slightly off white paper. The white board will reflect back a bunch of light and your players will have to be moving around just to see what is in the middle of the board.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

In my (and Naryt's) experience, VTT play is quite different from tabletop play, boasting many advantages. I nowadays prefer it over face-to-face play because VTT is a literary experience--it's very much like collectively writing a novel. Because I love reading and writing but am not much of an actor, being able to write my world with others is so much more satisfying. Of course, there are downsides (time lag being #1, lack of persoanl contact being #2), but the trade-off is well worth it to me.

This also brings that new WOTC software into the picture: they are trying very hard to create a videogame atmosphere for the rpg world. Bully for them, but I'll still pass. That sort of flash and razzle-dazzle does nothing for me. I'm in it for the story, the words, not the accoutraments. While I applaud WOTC for pushing the innovation envelope, I think they go over the top on everything and are nowadays basically the epitome of a money hungry corporation. TSR did the same thing, but were less savvy. (BTW, no rip on D&D or its fans intended: it's a fine game. I just dislike the constant "Feed me" scream of the corporate monster; I feel it whenever I see or touch their products.)

That being said, I think there is some room for improvement in all VTTs. For example, the ability to create & "fly through" 3D terrains would be a sweet addition to both live and VTT players' games!

Thanks for posting the video. Very interesting.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I have to agree with everything you said pyrandon including the WotC is CR 30 monster. Although I differ slightly on the writing aspect. I like to write as well, but I find the game goes faster with being able to speak. In one game we use the chat feature in the VTT for the "table talk" and dice rolling stuff and use Ventrilo for the actually gaming stuff. In another game, we did the opposite, and in the third game we don't use VoIP at all and everything is done in chat. Although we have recently been discussing going to VoIP, but there is some hesitation by a couple players for various reasons.

We have discussed 3D for MT, but the developers currently do not want to do that for the very reason you mentioned which was turning it into a video game. They are striving to make it a tool for roleplaying, but not a replacement, which is a Good Thing in my book.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Oh, I totally agree on the speed thing, RP: our game ranges from kinda slow to snail-paced, which can be annoying. We talked about using voice software, but have not decided to do so. Any advice/suggestions, anyone? (not to hijack this thread...)
    Don
    My gallery is here

I would STRONGLY caution you against using Skype. Period. End of story. Don't even get me started.

Ventrilo is an excellent VoIP software and is free for up to 10 participants. You can run the server from your own computer even.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Oh, I totally agree on the speed thing, RP: our game ranges from kinda slow to snail-paced, which can be annoying. We talked about using voice software, but have not decided to do so. Any advice/suggestions, anyone? (not to hijack this thread...)
    Snail paced? Are we even that fast?

As for voice software, Ventrilo or TeamSpeak. Of course, I'd rather stick with text until there is a reliable transcribing software package.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

I agree with the stick to type, Naryt. I love our log (which sounds just plain-old wrong, but you know what I mean...)
    Don
    My gallery is here

Agreed with all that's said here. The best RPGs I've every played has been a one on one with a friend, in a pub with only a D6 and occasionally a pencil to quickly scrawl a map on the back of a beer mat. It doesn't matter how good the maps or materials are, in the end, the canvas upon which RPGs are really played are in our heads - and that is why I far prefer non realistic maps, because they don't impose a complete physical reality on how you imagine a place to look.

Face to face group sessions have been fun too. For me, there is something irreplaceable about having face to face contact, the occasional belly laugh, tactile game aids and sharing beers and pizza. Most of my friends don't RPG any more, but we still play board games when we get together. I think there is really is a connection between getting older and being able to suspend disbelief the way we used to when we were in our twenties. That said, I'm in the process of writing a traveller adventure (3 years 40 pages and counting) and when it's finally complete, they are all keen to come over and have a whirl.

The only recent RPGs I've been playing have been run by Valarian (who occasionally posts here) which have been enjoyable, but I found that the time commitment of 3 hours or so on Sunday evenings was just too much - which was a pity because he was an excellent GM and ran some fine adventures. I did find, though that the process of typing rather than speaking tends to slow the adventure down to a snail's pace. This can be mitigated to an extent by pre-written descriptions which the GM can cut and paste but usually the players find a way to unintentionally avoid all the places that the GM has detailed so beautifully.

This is why I'm really interested in trying out the VoIP hybrid - and when I've refreshed myself with the Call of Cthulu rules and Map Tool, will be sending an invite to RP for a game!

Default OT: Way Off Topic In Fact

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    I agree with the stick to type, Naryt. I love our log (which sounds just plain-old wrong, but you know what I mean...)
    Resist Making Obscure Mathematical Joke {vs 12} [5,5,5] = 15 vs (12) or less Failure! by 3

What kind of logs are used to make cabins?

Highlight

es of course!

The mathematically overactive will know that e is, of course, the symbol for natural logs.

for the answer.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Another website that compares VTTs is http://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/vts.html

I agree that using a VTT for roleplay is slower than face-to-face. However, when you have two young kids and your old gaming group is scattered across the country it can make the difference between gaming once a week or not at all.

Personally, I use Fantasy Grounds as the tool of choice.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast