Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video of WOTC upcoming VTT software

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This is why I'm really interested in trying out the VoIP hybrid - and when I've refreshed myself with the Call of Cthulu rules and Map Tool, will be sending an invite to RP for a game!
    And I am eagerly awaiting!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Maptool and ventrilo is our weapon of choice - it allows me to game with two old groups that I would never see otherwise. I can also load macros in for complicated rules (yes - I play D&D ) So when my monster tears the party to pieces with 7 attacks I don't have to sit there looking up all the rules and adding totals. I find it speeds things up a lot - I even ran a face to face game and just had maptool open on my laptop - the players never saw it - because it helps so much.

Also, it's been said before but bears repeating - maptool is entirely system agnostic. So much so that if someone finds they can't do something for their system the developer (trevor) will make sure it gets implemented - often in time for your game.

That's more valuable to me than WotC shiny 3D.

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

My favorite part of the video is where they talk about designing your character. "You don't have to use stick figures, or cut pictures out of your books..."
    cut pictures out of your books?? Who does that?

As for VTT programs, I have yet to use one in actual game play, but MapTools seems to be the winner for me. Full-featured, has a responsive design team, runs well, and free.

Keith, if you check out the Gemini Ascendant thread on the Hero Boards you'll be able to read about all the stuff we've been doing Hero System wise with MT as well as the support and stuff we've been getting.

Battlegrounds also recently implemented Hero System capabilities into it, and is very pretty to look at, but currently it would cost our group about $120 US to be able to use it, which still isn't bad when divided by the number of players, but still not better than Free.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Still tooting OpenRPG here. Two years running, never cost me a cent, and we have built-in GURPS rollers (including critical failures, etc.).
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

MT not only has all the dice mechanics that GURPS uses, but also just added tables so now you can have it do all the crits, hit locations, etc in one fell swoop. Even auto rolls multiple tables.

Let the flaming begin!

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Let the flaming begin!
    Have torch, will scorch...oh for heaven's sake!

The big drawback for me (us, if Pyrandon actually dares join ranks...what IS that stench?...with the fowl...er, foul punster) is the lack of text chat. MT is designed for VoIP only and since one of our biggest "loves"* is the chat log generated each session MT just won't work for us. Now if someone knows of a highly reliable and accurate transcribing application that could take a recorded Ventrilo session and spit out a text log, then MT would be a viable consideration.

*OK...I just realized how creepy that word is thanks to Trin...someone pass the Brain Bleach
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Um... pardon the following shocked response... what the heck are you talking about?

MT has a full chat feature and logs the entire session. It allows font colors and even has smilies. It wasn't designed for VoIP. Where did you get that idea?

Also the chat window can be auto-hidden or docked and moved anywhere and resized.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Um... pardon the following shocked response... what the heck are you talking about?

MT has a full chat feature and logs the entire session. It allows font colors and even has smilies. It wasn't designed for VoIP. Where did you get that idea?

Also the chat window can be auto-hidden or docked and moved anywhere and resized.
    Well, color me blind. The last time I checked (MT had just been released) there was not a chat function (it WAS in the works though) and in my quick reading of the features list tonight, I clearly missed that bit....um....quick retort......oh yeah, we've got too much time invested in ORPG already.

Actually we do have a couple of technoskidish players that would be somewhat resistant to the switch. Having said that, I just finished downloading the latest stable version.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Yes, a great deal has changed since its original release. In fact, that is one of the greatest things about MT. Trevor, the developer, is releasing new features and patches every week and actually listens to those that ask for features.

I can understand the resistance to change. It is a tough thing for many to do. I think once you try it out, you may be pleasantly surprised though. Also, I would download the latest development build as well just so you can see the changes that are taking place with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123