Thread: Hello, all

Post Hello, all

Hello, everyone. I found CG from a link to pyrandon's excellent fantasy city mapping tutorial.

I've been a tabletop gamer for more than 25 years :facepalm:, so I'm old enough to remember when we did this kind of stuff by hand ("Parchment textures? Luxury! Why, in my day we had to soak notebook paper in tea and dry it in the oven for an hour to get that effect.[1] And if it caught on fire, you'd have to start all over again! 'Ctrl-Z Undo', indeed. You young people have it too easy.")

I've noodled around with Photoshop a bit for some of my other gaming needs, but there's something deeply satisfying about seeing the map of your own imaginary empire spread out in front of you. Hence, I'm here. Looking forward to perusing more excellent tutorials.

[1] Or just go to the local art supply store and buy some parchment, but dammit, that's cheating.

Heh, with a name like "Ream" it's no surprise you started off talking about paper You aren't the only old timer around here. I think you will enjoy the company. We have many rpg'ers who remember the olden days. There are also some here who just love making maps and don't know much about rpgs. The common denominator though is enjoyment of maps. Crush those tutorials we can't wait to see your efforts and if you share your WIP you will find good helpful tips until you master those imaginary empires.

Welcome to the Guild.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The tea and oven technique still produces a much better physical prop. Printing a parchment texture just isn't worthwhile, in my opinion. If you only ever see the map on a screen, though, I definitely do not recommend dipping it in any sort of liquid.

Welcome!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild. Funny you mention the tea and oven route - last week my co-dm made up three player handouts using just that method (except she did it on maps she printed out on her inkjet). Lots of us here are old-timers. I played my first RPG session sometime in 1981. I spent the next several years wasting a great deal of graph paper. The software available today is great but there's still some value in putting pen to paper or, better yet, combining the two. My best map to date is hand-drawn, scanned, and fixed up in Photoshop.
    M

Welcome to the Guild!

Tea? Never did it back in the day. I just used an Iron set to low and ironed away.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave