Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash Game Map WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip Flash Game Map WIP

Well, I was right when I guessed I might not be able to enter this month's competition.

The client for this one (picked up from offsite) has graciously allowed me to post updates and WIP's in here, so feedback is more than welcome

This time it's a bit different for me - the challenge will be to go back to my habits from when I first started, and make a small map! The final size will be 640x480, but I've gotten so used to working at large scale, I just have to do this one at double size so i can shrink it later

When finished, it will be incorporated into a flash game (moving into version 4, the previous ones were quite successful). I'll see about permission to post links to the current version of the game, if anyone wants.

Anyhow, we're at the planning stage now, and I've even incorporated a compass that borrows elements from one of the game logos.. One of the other things I'll need to train myself out of is the habit of adding a nifty border
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protectbase01 cop&.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	23957  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks fun! Definitely interested to find out about the game. These browser games are getting really popular. I did one recently. Should be able to post a link to it at the end of April or May when it goes live.

Cool compass. Like the colours too. I'm not totally convinced by the coastline. It looks a bit too consistent in the pattern of the rough edge. Also, when you shrink this down I think you might lose that. Otherwise, coming along nicely.

Yep,. the coastline was left rough all over since I didn't want to put too much work into it until I had the shape finalized. I think this is a lot nicer to look at

Not sure about the mountains, they might be a bit too busy once shrunk down, I suspect I'll redo them a bit (though I like the look at the doubled size). I also ran a quick forest test, I'm going to have to go a bit more symbolic than usual on this one due to space restraints.

Name:	protectbase01..png 
Views:	93 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	23983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protectbase01 cop&.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	23984  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Coastline is, I think, finalized. I like it, anyhow

I figured out how to do the mountains, I kept the detailed layer and made it more transparent, then outlined the edges overtop, this gives the illusion of detail without making it too busy at the smaller size.
    Forests are starting to come together, though I'm not happy with the trunks yet, they need more definition for when they're shrunk (and this was just to get an idea of what was going to happen). I may even keep the forest colour as is, I really like it.

Still messing around with the compass, we'll see how that goes I'm under the impression that a legend and/or scale marker won't be needed for this one so I won't bother.

Name:	protectbase01 copy.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	382.1 KB 
ID:	24153  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like everything so far but the forests don't mesh with the mtns. Maybe try that lower opacity/quasi-shading there. Love the colors and paper. Personally, the cartoony forests without the extra lines look way cool to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

First, I love all things hand-drawn and this is a nice start... I agree that the trees are fine without the extra detail but at the same time I think that as long as all the trees of the same type in the same area are alike you will be fine. The extra detail in the trees may, if added to the other trees, make them blend in more with the mountains and the overall look of the map. I the hand drawn style I have noticed that keeping things like trees the same type throughout makes things look planed. I recommend doing a few tests of different types of trees with the mountains to find what you like the best.

This is a test I did some time ago to see what I liked best... I hope it gives you some Ideas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree_tests1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	24155

Keep it up, you have good color and coastlines, I look forward to seeing the finished map.

-RPGMM
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, Forest edge intensity is on the to do list, but i like the idea of going less lines for the inner portion (or fading them - the inner details are on their own layer, whew). now that you mention it, that would work pretty well, and keep them a bit more consistent with the mountains.

Interesting you should comment on them - it's the forests on the edge of your brewhome map that inspired me for these

rpgmapmaker: heh, i was responding to Ascensions comment while you were posting That's a good point, and yes, i'm getting ideas from them. There's a few changes coming up to get the terrain a bit more in line with the client's wishes, and then i'll see what happens with these new ideas. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 04-26-2010 at 10:38 PM.

My finished maps

I ended up keeping the original forest style, I just like the feel of it for this map. Messed around with a few layers, and booyah.

Updated the mountains, added hills (though I may redo some of them) and started on towns - I'm happy with the idea behind them, but not sure about the execution.

*bows to Ramah again*

Name:	protectbase01 copy.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	24159  

My finished maps

Blog Entries

Really liking this map, CM.

The palette is great and I actually prefer these mountains to the ones you've used on your last couple of maps. Those mountains on the other maps look good of course, but I recall lots of little lines in the shading which made them look kinda busy to my eyes. Even though these are kinda similar they look somehow cleaner. Maybe it's because the shading is smudged somewhat or because the opacity on them is lower. Dunno but they look great.

As to the execution of the towns... get some shadowing around them to tie them into the map more and they'll look great.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

You're right. The mountains are definitely improved for this, and I suspect I'll carry this concept over to future maps as well. Not that I didn't like them before, but this has a feel i'm liking.

The problem i'm running into now is that the towns look good at this size (and likely better once shadowed) but I'm trying to get them to look as good at half size (final version is scaled down from this). I'll have to make them larger, but I'm trying to balance so as not to overload the final product with detail - there's another dozen or so smaller towns that need to go in, some ruins, a few castles, and other oddities.

I'm sure I'll get something useable by tomorrow evening

My finished maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast