Thread: Random Fishing Village

Map Random Fishing Village

I've not been doing much mapping lately as I've been working on my art, but today I thought I'd do a village and try a few new things. Just to make sure I don't get rusty. Just a random fishing village, no real story behind it or anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaldirmark..jpg 
Views:	1323 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	23963  

Very cool Larb, even for a "simple" fishing village. Your skills at this stuff have increased a lot
    This is truly professional quality.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good. Perhaps a longer cast shadow from the ship masts? At the moment they look a little flat. Otherwise, very nice indeed.

Thanks for those kind words, they are really inspiring.

As for the masts, I agree. I was considering drawing the shadow in entirely by hand but went with the drop shadow instead which hasn't turned out so well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It's just those bits that are the issue. It's certainly worth doing 90% of the shadows procedurally, but it's the last 10% that you do by hand that will really sell it.

Very nicely done. Definitely inspiring me to want to start working on smaller settlements right awat, but I have to finish the world map first!
    I'd be interested in looking at a tutorial on how you did this one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

agree with torstan, let the computer do most of the work (as you have) and then add the extra details by hand ... nice map he said swinging his +2 sword of cool repping.
    And by the way - really nice with a fishing village, there are a lot more of those than castles and towns, but not as many mapped
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It has a feudal Japanese feel to it, for some reason. I like it!
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Novice

I agree with tilt, small as this village may be there would dozens if not hundreds of more villages like this than there are the giant citadels or fortress cities, with each one having many a story to tell. I definitely think my first attempt at map making here will be something along these lines here. Very nice job Larb!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Agreed, in fact a small village like this would make an excellent lite challenge, if it hasn't been done already.