Thread: Ahoj zo Slovenska

Guild Novice

Info Ahoj zo Slovenska

Hi from Slovakia (not Czeslovakia, not Slovenia)
    First sory for my bad english
    I am just thinking how I get to this guild.. hm.. It was a lovely day and I googled for some medieval maps (I think I searched for town) and the good G took me to this page (the pyrandon medieval town tutorial). When I realized what is the whole website about, i sit there for three days and just read all the superb tuts... (I am RPG player (PC and those with paper, pen, cube and all the stuff (dont know how u name this RPG)) so I get excited right away about the maps, and in addition I am a Gimp user for a considerable time
    my age is 23 or 24 (who remembers it when it is changing every year ) and now i am finishing study on the university (software ingeneer, informatics and such complicated fileds )
    enough of words, take a look what i did so far:

using Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map&highlight=regional+gimp:

(the TLS technique rocks man ) arent the woods a bit blurry? do u recognize that thay are woods?

and one map transformation of my lovely country :

i did not create the map, just added the stuff around, the "paper background" and play with colors to look more naturaly

I hope there will be soon more
    oo and i forget... what the heck is WIP and how to use it?
    Last edited by Zavael; 04-21-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

WIP = work in progress. Glad to have you here and don't worry about your grasp of the language, there are many types spoken here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ahoj! Ježíšmariajosef!! Znamenitý! Krásný!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

A couple of things: I understand a bit (not a lot) of Czech but have no experience with the Slovakian language, however, I understand that they're very similar. The area marked Polovíčné údohe has me puzzled. I assume that polovíčné means half or halfway, but what does údohe mean? It's a word I've never encountered before, and it isn't in any of my Czech-English or Czech-German dictionaries. The second is a comment, not a question. The forest tagged Velký les looks like an intriguing, mysterious place. Have you thought about giving it a sexier name than just Velký les (Big, huge or great forest in English)?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Novice

It is Údolie (now it seems to me Údohe too ) and means valley, but U got it right, its Half valley because hlaf of it is wood and half is grass field
    The Big forest is named because is so big that it isnt even mapped all... on the map is just a part of it (the part where ordinary people arent affraid to go) and behind the hill on the north (without name) the forest continues but it is restricted to adventurers only I didnt want a name like dark forest or The forest of walking death, I wanted smthing ordinary for smthing not so ordinary (one adventurer may say: "Hoo, every forest can be big, but no one can be so large that we cannot map it!!" but yes it can and it its this forest, the only one unnatural in my world and his name comes from times even before the Hyran was established... the people referenced it allways "there, near the big forest" or "he died in the big forest"
    and yes you are right, czech and slovak lang is very similar
    Last edited by Zavael; 04-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Ahoj, prominete ja ne mluveem Slovenska - And thats about a quarter of my Czech / Slovack exhausted right there with terrible spelling no doubt. I had to give up a long career in speaking it when I found I could count to two but the word for three was completely beyond my ability to say it. Lovely language tho.
    Welcome.

Guild Novice

I never realized it could be hard to say... but glad to see the fame of my lang
    oh and thanks to all welcomers