Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPAD RPG maps requested by RPGNet

Default Update...

Here's an update on what I know so far...

For starters I've created the main tavern hall, though 3 more pieces need to be created - the one is good enough for now to work the details. They are able to work in layers, so they want an unfurnished tavern base layer, above that goes existing patrons and furniture, above this layer would be a "movable" layer allowing users to place and move PC tokens. Each PC token is attached to a description file on stats, etc. Finally a layer that drops the roof down over everything.

Another issue, they haven't decided on scale. I made my original design based on 100 pixels = 5 feet, but I also provided an enlarged version to better fill the 1024 x 768 viewing screen, so that's more like 121 pixels = 5 feet. RPGNet developers need to decide the optimum scale to be used - that's part of this early part in the experiment.

Here's a Sneak Peak at the tavern base being used in the experiment. Its all hand drawn, scanned and enhanced in Xara with bevels and wall shadows, etc. No furniture, though I'm creating one with both tables and top-down people tonight. I probably won't post an update, that's why this isn't in the WIP forum. I already know what I am doing on the other 3 pieces of this map, but holding off, while the developers play with this one for a while to work out bugs.

Just wanted to give you an idea on my plans, and where the project is going. Progress...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tavern-rpgnet.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	893.6 KB 
ID:	24191  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Update...

OK an update on the map, so far. I am posting it, as I learned, I am not getting paid of this test map, however, once the test is complete and if the project moves forward, then each map will be sold for $1 each, and I will receive a royalty for each sale. Hmmm, not my preferred method of payment, but onward anyway. I still need to create about a dozen top-down people map objects to finish this map.

This isn't the intended size or scale, and the complete map will be sliced into four pieces ready to upload into the IPAD.

Progress so far...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tavern-new.jpg 
Views:	1660 
Size:	822.6 KB 
ID:	24356  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Thanks for keeping us posted. I for one am interested in how this pans out and what the end result will be on the I-pad.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Yeah me too - would be nice to see some photos of the iPad with the images on it. Commission on $1 cant be much tho ! Are they really thinking that theres going to be thousands of sales for these maps on the iPad ?

I think the pulbishers behind RPGNet are going the way of electronics support of RPG playinjg for all their endeavors. If you look at their page, a banner listing above their home page is looking for iPhone developers. They want to be the primary source of 3rd party support for iPhone, iPad, iPod and anything else, Apple or any company creates. So, yes, I think they believe they will be able to sell iPhone apps, and iPAD apps to their captive forum membership audience. I am told that I get 15% royalty on any sales of maps for their productline.

That is their goal.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

The owner of RPGNet, Emailed me, he likes the final map, but wants me to pull the animals and people out, provided as transparent PNG files. The same with the furniture. He also wants me to create a roof, I'll do that tonight. He also wants me to create the cellar, which is shown in the supply room just up from the kitchen. This map won't require a second floor or attic, but he like an attic just the same - at least for the experiment.

Right now, as the programming for the iPAD goes, once the map is loaded, you touch the screen on the map and hold it there, which causes a menu to open up offering: resize the map down to half, quarter, eight to total size. Other options is go down to cellar level, go up to attic level, go to roof level, also allowing the user to jump to other maps; ie: city map or regional map. Once the map objects of furniture, animals and people are created, the user can add elements from that same menu which shows up at center of map. Then with your finger select and slide the object to the position that you want. All elements are placed this way, including map tokens of PCs.

That's the discussed development so far.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12