Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPAD RPG maps requested by RPGNet

Default IPAD RPG maps requested by RPGNet

Interesting, I just got contacted by the owner of RPGNet. He is interested in experiment with RPG maps sliced into 1024 x 768 pieces that could readily be used in those dimensions for use as IPAD content. I will be sending him a map sliced this way for a commission. If the experiment works, they will be commissioning many more. Looks like an intersting proposition.

If it works out, I could see a whole new market for us cartographers to design for.

Thoughts?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I can see that this sounds cool, but I can't quite see the practical use. What's the user intending to do with these? I'm more than happy to look at a map and marvel at it on the iPad, and I'm sure it'll look very glossy, but it would be great if there was a next step to take to add some functionality.

Obviously vtts would work beautifully on the iPad and I can certainly see a market there. Also, custom designed adventure formats for the DM so that they can move through the adventure seemlessly. There must be better ways to organise adventure content on an iPad than just have it flick through a multi-page pdf. All of that would be great, but I'd also take a program that let me zoom and pan a nice large map.

I guess the iPad is big enough to use as a small minis battlemat? It's a little small though.

I think the VTT direction is what they intend. Like I said, at this point it is just an experiment, so they are commissioning just one map from me for a trial. If it works out, then they plan to commission many more. I think IPAD = new toy, RPGNet just wants to test out what can be done.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

My first thought was browser games but then I don't know if the I-Pad can do flash yet or not. I haven't been keeping up on it.

It does look like Seadragon might do what are talking about Torstan but whether it runs on the I-pad or not is another question. Someone here recently put a map up on that and it is pretty cool. I haven't yet read up on what all you have to do in order to use it though. They have like a Silverlight based version and a Java version or something.

For sure the I-pad would be easier to carry around than a laptop if you were going to go DM at a friends house.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hmmm, that is interesting. Thanks for the link.

Even if they don't run a lot of web based apps yet.. i'd think they will eventually.. an you may even see a bit larger format for the iPad if it catches on... they should make 'em roll up.. the "iMat" (-: hey, not a bad idea

Just got an update, I'll be creating a 4 piece tavern map, followed by a city map where the tavern belongs, then an area map where the city belongs, apparently not VT just yet, rather a zoomable map that zooms to different maps of multiple pieces. So I got to make a tavern for starters.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Hmmm, that is interesting. Thanks for the link.
    I only know about it because of Sapiento posting his finished commission here and pointing to the link Here Go check it out, it's pretty cool.

@Gamerprinter - See, now this just makes me want to have one so I can fiddle around and see what it can do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Yeah I kinda don't think the slice n dice is the way to go. Seems obvious that a zoom browser is what you need but I would say that wouldn't I So yes, Seadragon, Google Earth, mine and all the others would be great. I don't think Apple and Adobe are seeing eye to eye right now (think open warfare) and there's not and no likelihood of ever getting flash onto the iPad. So its more likely that its going the HTML5 route. I cant get on the iPad (not that I would even consider it) and I sure as hell cant see Google doing it either because of Android. Microsoft and Apple co-operating ???? Sounds pretty unlikely there too methinks. Mr Jobs hasn't been too friendly of late and is standing all alone with his shiny toys and wads of cash.

I believe I am right in saying that it does not run Java cos it has to be native C/C++/Objective C to be even in with a chance of getting on the iStore. So thats MapTool out too. Correct me if I am wrong cos I am not 100% on any Apple products.

When Google does an Android Pad then were in business. Until then, Apple has to pull its head out of its ass or nobody is going to be able to port to it.

GP, if your able, cant you create a new inn within a CWBP city and just get them to use chunks of that under CC ?

Default Not sure...

I just completed the main tavern hall slice, well most of it anyway. I've got a preliminary map and have posted it to him with questions about scale, is what I have too detailed for a 96 ppi image, does he wanted furnished or unfurnished like for a VT.

So if I can I will make it either a CWBP map, I'll consider it.

Actually I talked to Dorpand of MapTool, a couple months ago about the possibility of placing a tavern and three other village map locations pre-built into MapTool as links to my site offering the free downloads and an ad for a $5 product containing the remain 16 mapped locations for a complete village for gaming use. That way anyone downloading MapTool would get four free maps - all provided by Gamer Printshop... (probably $1.99 for 20 maps, 10 cents a map, that's cheap enough.)

If it won't work for one project, it might for something else. I've got every angle covered...

We'll see what happens.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-26-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast