Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - The Lost Forge of Dumathoin

Guild Member

Map Complete - The Lost Forge of Dumathoin

A mountain lost in time.
    A lava flow fuelling the forge forgotten.
    A rumour of treasures lost to the ages.
    A lurking menace, beware!

What more do you need for an adventure hook? Oh wait - a MAP!

So here's my concept, the broad blob colours are simply to outline the intent, of lowlands shrouding the entrance, cliffs, steep winding path past ancient defences to a door once forgotten. Into the forge, with bridges arching over lava to forges fuelled by the mountain itself. A hidden dwarven outpost with mines close for mithril ore, but beware the depths...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP - The Lost Forge of Dumathoin.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	88181

And the final product - I thought it was about time I edited the post, and finalised the map. Hope you enjoy it.

Name:	The Lost Forge of Dumathoin - Level 1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	98409

Ra.
    Last edited by RaNaketh; 08-09-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Guild Member

Ok, so since I'm artistically challenged I thought I'd start on the grass and cliffs to see how things work out.

I've separately layered the cliff background, lines, shadows, enhancements and overlayed them with variant opacity to see what effect I can get. I haven't put any horizontal lines across the cliffs as it seemed a little to 'busy', but any suggestions for improving them desired!

I'm working on the south face at the moment, but here's what it looks like currently.

Name:	WIP - Cliff and Grass - LFoD.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	88189

Guild Expert

This is shaping up really nice. I think the cliffs are looking alright so far. My one nit pick would be the heavier lines you've placed on some of the ridges, there just a bit too much. I think it would look better if they matched the thinner lines a bit more.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This is shaping up really nice. I think the cliffs are looking alright so far. My one nit pick would be the heavier lines you've placed on some of the ridges, there just a bit too much. I think it would look better if they matched the thinner lines a bit more.
    Thanks for the suggestion kacey!

Due to the miracles of layers (and keeping lots separate) here's cliff redux v2. ;-)

I thinned the main lines, underscored the cliff top with some shadows, and also 1pt blurred the lines to soften it all up a bit.

Name:	WIP - Cliff and Grass v2 - LFoD.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	88190

Guild Member

Ok the outside entrance is shaping up. Some slight adjustments to the original map has occurred, as I thought a nice hidden cave across the water and some underwater stepping stones might make for a good alternate entrance to the lower caverns (lower level is planned as per the mine ramp down, and planned stairs from the complex). The path still needs a lot of work, will have to look for some inspiration on how to get that working!

Name:	WIP - Entrance v1 - LFoD.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	88193

Love the concept. I may have to make my own version of this in my hand drawn style. I think I could pull this off for one of the projects im working on. Of the three a subterranean "dungeon" is one of them and I like this idea. I may have to add in some details from Carlsbad Caverns or even the Mexican monolithic crystals caves for a different feel... Hmmm the juices are flowing already. Awesome work, cant wait to see the finished product.
    Last edited by Raven Moon; 10-03-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Moon View Post
    Love the concept. I may have to make my own version of this in my hand drawn style. I think I could pull this off for one of the projects im working on. Of the three a subterranean "dungeon" is one of them and I like this idea. I may have to add in some details from Carlsbad Caverns or even the Mexican monolithic crystals caves for a different feel... Hmmm the juices are flowing already. Awesome work, cant wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks Raven, hopefully I'll have a bit more done later in the week. My other project (mapping the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords) takes a lot of time but it is also teaching me lots of base-GIMP skills in the process, which in turn hopefully reflects in this when done.

Guild Member

Ok, so I'm learning a lot about cliffs, and realising how much I don't actually know in the process! I was thinking about shrinking or completely trimming the top curve of the path cliffs next to the grass to try and make it more height visual, any suggestions for that?

Anyway, here is my next attempt. I've updated the cliffs, added the path structure and a few steps and cleaned up things. Still need to blend the path into the forest ... and I think fix the path elevation perception.

Otherwise also I think the path top could do with something, but I have no clues as to what? Any ideas? Scrubby bushes, rocks, dead trees?

Name:	WIP - Entrance v2 - LFoD.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	88221

Guild Member

Question Help needed with colour

I think I've discovered the Cartographer's curse... a map is always never complete in the eyes of the creator, there is always just that little bit more to tweak!

But I have to bite the bullet and keep working on the rest of the map, the entrance is fun, but it is that just the entrance. That said, if anyone has any tips I'm happy to keep adjusting just that little bit more.

My main dilemma is colouring? Which one do you like better? The muted tones on the left or the vibrant ore-like cliffs on the right?!

Name:	WIP - Entrance v3 - LFoD.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	300.7 KB 
ID:	88237

Guild Expert

I like the colours on the left better, it's just a little brighter, and easier to see. I think you're right about adding something to the path top, and all you're ideas are good, rocks, scrubby brushes, and dead trees, or even roots would be good. Also, I like the ground textures, this is really coming along.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast