Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volcano Island

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Volcano Island

This was a private commission for a client. The request was for a dual volcano island with a ruined temple on an island in the lake within the crater of one of the volcanoes (well the timing seemed appropriate). All very much in the turn of the century pulp B movie theme. This is what I came up with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VolcanoIsleWeb..jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	24063

This is the first map I've done in this style. Any C&C much appreciated!

Hmm, attachment manager seems to be broken for me. See page two of this thread for an externally linked version.
    Last edited by torstan; 04-23-2010 at 02:02 PM.

I really like the look of old parchment / paper and the delicate lines that appear to be hand-drawn. (are they?)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! The paper background is from cgtextures.com. The lines are all hand drawn using a graphics tablet (Wacom Intuous 4) in photoshop.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that it's amazingly well-done but I have no idea what pulp B is supposed to look like Great stuff, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My hat is off to you Torstan, absolutely beautiful! Repped.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Excellent, T, superb - the fonts really work for the old style. The top volcano threw me off for a bit, until I figured out it was a water-filled volcano with an island and structure on it. If there is some way to enhance the effect to its water it would be more recognizeable, a woodcut along the shore perhaps? I know you don't want to color your sea, but the lake caused a moment of confusion. If there some way to enhance the water effect, I think it would be perfect! If you a wood cut effect it might help along the island's shore as well.

Otherwise great map!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Is my browser going nuts or did this get removed? I see no thing
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Same here, no map to look at. 8(
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Knowing who did the map I'm prepared to hedge my bet by saying "omg awesome!" - but like the last few people, i cannot see either

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Oh I figured it out!

This is the Emperor's New Map and it's TOTALLY AWESOME!! Only a fool can't see it! I don't know what I was thinking before.

PS. I am alluding to "The Emperor's New Clothes", a children's story in which an Emperor is walking around naked and everyone says how fabulous his garments are but no one will say he's naked because everybody says only a fool can't see the splendor of his garb.

PSS. The aforementioned PS is for the benefit for anyone who has never heard the story as I have no idea if it is known worldwide or not.

PSSS. I figure Torstan had to pull the image for revisions or more specific permission to share. That or some glitch is having fun.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast