Thread: Ongoing Medieval Warfare PBEM strategy game

Default Ongoing Medieval Warfare PBEM strategy game

Hi,

Haven't been posting into the forum lately, as I've been quite busy with creating the second version of my medieval war game in past months. We just ended the first game about a week ago and now we have started the second game.
    So I have created the game myself and I’m running it and I have 6 players currently in it. We play 2 rounds a week (by email) and this game will have max 25 rounds unless someone gets domination victory before that.
    I attached a partial map and the manual I had written (apologies, but I have it only in Finnish). The game had just recently started, so we don’t have too much going on yet, but you should get the idea anyway. I also attached an instruction pdf of the realm-Excel we have for each player containing the info of their cities and armies etc.

Some game aspects:
    Expand you empire and make it stronger in many ways and try to destroy the others. You get victory points from your cities, armies, science, religious power and few other ways. So there are many ways to win the game depending how aggressive you want to be.
    You need to balance your production to make your strategy possible. Seek the strategic resources to enable further possibilities.
    Work through diplomacy to avoid war in more than one frontier. If you expand too fast or provoke your neighbors in other ways, you will end up going war with several players and most likely you will perish.
    Buy leaders to your armies to make them even stronger or you can buy leaders to your cities to boost production or increase your troop creation.
    There is a fog-of war and troops will see each other only if they get close enough. Troops can also stay undetected if they move smart and avoid open ground. What is more fun than getting you massive army to the hearth of your enemy undetected and then managing to rage several cities and escaping from it all.
    Cities are modular and you can build improvements depending on your need. But there is a shortage on module places in your cities, so you have think carefully what to build. For example you have to decide if you need fortifications to the city or do you want to build army command center to increase the number of your armies or increase your religion might or what.

But enough of this now, if you want to know more, you have to learn Finnish and read the manual

-Pasi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-02.jpg 
Views:	4442 
Size:	652.2 KB 
ID:	22237   Valtakunta Excelin käyttäminen.pdf   PELISÄÄNNÖT 2.01.pdf  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That gameboard looks quite nice, the bevels give it a bit of depth.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I though I could post the entire map we play on and the current situation on it. We are currently in turn 11 out of 25, so this will still last about 2 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn-11..jpg 
Views:	2343 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	23436  

From what you described it sounds pretty cool. I can't read Finnish however so I will just add that I think it is cool that you created a whole game like this and have people playing it for months at a time. That either means you really have something here or it means you have some hard core friends to play test your ideas
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    From what you described it sounds pretty cool. I can't read Finnish however so I will just add that I think it is cool that you created a whole game like this and have people playing it for months at a time. That either means you really have something here or it means you have some hard core friends to play test your ideas
    I must have done something right as for this version 2 we are now running, I had more people wanting to join that I could take in (wasn't expecting that to happen. I was more worried if enough people were interested). Friends of my firends had seen the game and guys planning offencive strategies and wanted to join in. So I like the though more that I have done something right here
    Couple of my friends are full time programmers and they are now planning to move this thing to be played on net, so that everyone could play and we would need no "gamemaster". They said it's doable, but the only concern is where to find enogh time to do it (we all are family guys and girls with small kids) so we'll see what happens.