Thread: Azala Eschanron

Default Azala Eschanron

Well, since the changeover ate my post (and the rep I got for it, sadly ), I guess I should do my best to re-create it.

I began this map as a way to teach myself how to use all of the myriad methods for cartography I've learned together in a coherent way. I did several versions of the map, all of which can be found here, however, the parchment style map I'm including below is both my favorite, and the map I learned the most from. I'll be taking a lot of the methods I experimented with to make this map on to my next big project (which was also eaten by the server troubles). While it may not be perfect, especially in terms of the text labels being illegible at some points, I feel I learned what I needed to from this project, and it's time to move on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE_Antique_2..jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	24105

Blog Entries

I like it. One bit of critcism however is that the creases don't conform well to physics. There are lots of creased papers out there and you can even make on yourself simply by scanning a folded sheet of paper. Put it atop the top layer and give the layer a linear burn blend mode and voila!... creased paper. Lots of room to innovate and individualize the technique, but nothing is as convincing as the real thing.

Rep to you sir.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    I like it. One bit of critcism however is that the creases don't conform well to physics. There are lots of creased papers out there and you can even make on yourself simply by scanning a folded sheet of paper. Put it atop the top layer and give the layer a linear burn blend mode and voila!... creased paper. Lots of room to innovate and individualize the technique, but nothing is as convincing as the real thing.

Rep to you sir.
    That is a really excellent idea, I'll have to try that on my next map-as an astrophysicist, I'm always concerned about conforming to real physics. I was a bit disappointed that the creases didn't look all that great, but it was the best I could come up with when I was just playing around. What I did was to make a noise layer for the overlying texture, then draw where I wanted the creases in black, do a small noise>spread, then smaller gaussian blur on them, set to overlay (or possibly multiply, I tried a few things and can't remember what I settled on), merge down layer, then convert that to a bumpmap on a 50% grey layer.
    Last edited by plamadude30k; 04-26-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: speeelling