Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackmount Empire

Default Blackmount Empire

Hello Guild,

This map is a warm up from an earlier work I didn't finish. I have been going back and forth with this as I hadn’t decided where to take it. So I went back to planning table and created a background, so that certain things have a purpose and cities etc will be there for a reason. Since that was done, it was a lot easier to continue.
    I post this in low resolution as the original is quite big. Please let me know you thoughts and critique is most welcomed.

-Pasi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire-1..jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	1,019.4 KB 
ID:	24088  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Nice warm up!

I love the colors you have chosen. I love the look of the rivers and trees. What did you use for the dark green trees... textures and brushes that sort of thing?

Reped!
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Gasp! that's awesome Pasis! Saw the thread where you started this some time ago and this came out VERY nice. Love the terrain details, erosion effects, mountains, trees.. well basically everything
    If I can comment on such a great piece, the water seems a little 'flat'/purple colorwise. cheers!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

You mean there is a higher resolution than this!? Gief!

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

That's incredible. How long has it taken you to get this far?

Wow, I'm glad to see another update, it still looks amazing as always! haha I see rpgmapmaker has the exact same question I got, how did you go about doing the forests, or the technique I guess?
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

What resolution are you working at?

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Very good looking stuff there. It almost looks totally real!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks guys for the kind words...Then some answers and explanations…

RPGMAPMAKER & YANDOR: Regarding the textures used I have made few of them with Genetica Viewer and used them with only minimal modifications. Then some of the textures are combination and modifications from several textures on top of eachother.
    The tree texture is the one I used in my tutorial http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4405 and actually it is a modification from my very first map (Bretoria) I did when I joined the guild. I just downsized the tree scale and applied some PS layer styles (drop shadow and bevel&emboss). Most of the look comes from bevel and emboss as I set the bewel size to 1, the contour to 0% and as texture I used the same tree texture and applied it in 500% depth. Attached is a sample of the original forest texture and then the same in the map itself with above settings and layer set to multiply.

DJEKSPEK: Yeah, I need to work on the water. I have tried few techniques to add body to the water, but I couldn’t create anything reasonable that would fit with the rest of the map.

KAISER MACCLEG: This has taken countless hours. I’m not the fastest mapmaker around and I usually tend to go too deep into details. I have seen guys making nice complete maps in an hour and I cannot make a coastline in that time

SIGURD: The complete map is 4096x4096 px, but I might take a small portion of from the right hand side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings-1..jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	24118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample-2..jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	24119  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wonderful work here Pasis!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast