Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How can anybody ask for an unpaid map?

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Yeah, I like making art, but I'm also fond of eating.

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

There's a thread closer if ever I saw one.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Yep, RobA wins the thread.

So here's something I've been wondering: The hobos around here salvage cardboard for their signs from garbage bins. But where do they get the Sharpies?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Charcoal stick?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Examine the color of the writing more closely. It may be more earth-tone than actually black.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Yep, RobA wins the thread.

So here's something I've been wondering: The hobos around here salvage cardboard for their signs from garbage bins. But where do they get the Sharpies?
    If they're anything like a few of those I have to deal with on a daily basis . . . Those aren't sharpie markings and you don't want to know where they came from. On a more serious note, however, where one might find a cardboard bin, one will usually find a store of some sort. It's just a matter of convincing the staff of the store to let you use their sharpie.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Late to the party, but as someone who's done an unpaid commission I don't see a problem with folks asking for them. It was an interesting project and the more I thought about it the more I wanted to give it a try. The requester probably got what he paid for (as I'm not nearly as talented as some) but it was fun. I'll more than likely end up doing a lot more of the unpaid work before I even think about applying for one of the paid commissions.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I late here too... tried to reply when the thread was just started but ran in to some problems *lol* ... but now I'm back
    So, I'll just put my 2 cents in here, or actually more like 1 cent with most of my points allready been made.
    I don't see any problems with working for free if the project you're working on is non-commercial. I would be pleased to get compensation for work done for for instance a private rpg campaign, but since I would be doing it for kicks - the payment isn't important only nice .. a really nice pad on the back is nice too (or a ribbon *lol*). Concidering commercial jobs however, people should put some cool cash on the table, if they are going to make money, I should too
    That been said, there are degrees of payment - I've worked on many projects in "hope" of getting payed when the project earned money (and many never did), The biggest project I think I put in about 400 hours worth before the whole thing crashed.. .to bad, but no hard feelings cause had it succeded I would have made a lot of money (and it was for family) - like playing on the stock market *lol*.
    The only thing "bothering" me is when people dump their prices commercially. I see that a lot when I'm putting in an offer for creation of a logo or webpage and then some teenager (no offense) who's got a pirate version of photoshop, no rent to pay and probably no taxes either makes an offer for a quarter of what I did - thats anoying. Then you just have to tell yourself that the real professional clients also want a professional job and are willing to pay for it.
    Anyway - thats my opinion

Along the same lines...I was a professional photographer for 14 years before I moved into finance. If anyone asked me to do work for them it was either full price or gratis. The relationship does change when you start charging and whether you are charging $500 per hour or 50c you are still answerable to the brief. The person paying has an expectation (right or wrong) that you will fulfil that brief.

Personally I won't accept any payment for something unless it is on professional terms. i.e. full and reasonable compensation. Otherwise I do it as a favour. Buy me a few beers if you want but that is up to you.

Bottom line from my p.o.v. is when you ask payment for a job you take on the associated expectations and responsibilities and that is worth commensurate compensation.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Along the same lines...I was a professional photographer for 14 years before I moved into finance. If anyone asked me to do work for them it was either full price or gratis. The relationship does change when you start charging and whether you are charging $500 per hour or 50c you are still answerable to the brief. The person paying has an expectation (right or wrong) that you will fulfil that brief.

Personally I won't accept any payment for something unless it is on professional terms. i.e. full and reasonable compensation. Otherwise I do it as a favour. Buy me a few beers if you want but that is up to you.

Bottom line from my p.o.v. is when you ask payment for a job you take on the associated expectations and responsibilities and that is worth commensurate compensation.
    That hit a nerve. I have had to stop doing discount prices for customers in my business because it seems like (no joke) any time I do a deal for someone it comes whipping back around to bite me in the you know where. I have found that charging full price is the quickest way to keep a customer happy. I have no idea why but whatever the case what Aval said is good advice. It's hard to squeeze a good deed in and not get punished for it I guess.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast