Thread: Newbie Help

Guild Applicant

Question Newbie Help

Hello everyone. I'm new to both the site and map making, and need some help. I've got the Wacom Bamboo tablet, but need some software. What would you suggest? I'm not made of money so cheep is good and free is better, but I'm willing to shell out the cash for quality.

I have some very basic understanding of Photoshop, but don't currently have the program. If it's a worthwhile product for this purpose, then I'll go that way. If there's something better that is cheaper, I'd rather save the cash.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wolf

First of all, welcome to the Guild! Well Photoshop certainly is a good investment, as I'm sure many here that use it will tell you. But for the price of "FREE" you really can't beet the GIMP. With a bit of scripting work and some plug-ins (much of which has already been provided by people here at the guild, such as RobA), it can be made to have much of the functionality of PS. In the short-run this is probably the best way to go. Once you become more experienced you may find that it is worth your while to upgrade to PS. Then again perhaps not. You can also find out more on this topic in this sticky.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

I agree with arsheesh, GIMP is a must. Also Wilbur, Inkscape and G Projector. All free and useful in their own ways.

Guild Applicant

Thanks for the advice. I've found the install and will check it out.