Thread: Commission: Post Apocalyptic North America

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Commission: Post Apocalyptic North America

This map was done for a commission. I worked with a draft and then formed this disrupted version of North America. Initial point was a series of catastrophic volcanic eruptions.

Done in PS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final draft.jpg 
Views:	4239 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	24158  

That's pretty cool, although I can't tell if I survived or not :-/

Must be a Texas fan, everyone always thinks Texas should survive....bah!

PS. I'm not really against Texas I just don't care for the Dallas Cowboys although I admit the cheerleaders are nice
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

^ Best. Stream-of-consciousness post. EVER.

And another excellent map from Sapiento. My only gripe is the ice cap, which doesn't seem to blend well with the rest of the map. Maybe it's the edges of it; they just seem a bit jarring to me.

Oh man.. Detroit got wiped out (what a loss).. but so did I in the process (0:
    actually.. this looks like a long time from now so i guess i'd already be dead.

Default Post Apoc Map

Sorry guys - when no plant offers sustenance, no glade gives comfort, no beast is the friend of man.... AND the Caldera Basin explodes not everyone can live.

This was the first map I have ever commissioned and I feel lucky to have secured Robert as my Cartographer. He was very patient with me and helped us strike a balance between reality and the fantastic nature of the world I want to create. I will continue to work with him to develop the regional maps and drill deeper into the various zones.

Mucho Rep from a former lurker and now a customer :-)

awesome, mountains! now i know which way is west again!
    >>< drow ><<

Thanks for the comments, guys! This was quite fun to do, I'm looking forward to explore the regions.

Guild Journeyer

Not to nitpick, but is there a reason why a large straight formed over one of the highest points in New Brunswick? And some of the high lands in Cape Breton, which are on the order of 100m above sea level, flooded as well? For those points to go under sea level means the earth moved enough that PEI likely would just be a loose sand bed spread out over the gulf, or the level of the oceans were raised to a point that the Mississippi is nearly 200km wide around Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Not to nitpick, but is there a reason why a large straight formed over one of the highest points in New Brunswick? And some of the high lands in Cape Breton, which are on the order of 100m above sea level, flooded as well? For those points to go under sea level means the earth moved enough that PEI likely would just be a loose sand bed spread out over the gulf, or the level of the oceans were raised to a point that the Mississippi is nearly 200km wide around Memphis.
    Maybe a tectonic movement similar to Emmerich's 2012 ;-)
    Last edited by Sapiento; 05-06-2010 at 06:19 AM.