Thread: Funny true story - Monsters in the night

Default Funny true story - Monsters in the night

So I'm sitting here at 11:14pm in my home office, a room with my desk, PC, bookcases, sword against the wall, Lion Rampart banner hanging in the corner, all that jazz - everyone else has gone to bed including the dog and cats. It's been getting warmer here so I have my ceiling fan on and it feels just right to do a little sketching in my sketchbook...it's so peaceful and quiet. I just love this time of night, no interruptions for hours. I pop open my book, pencil in hand and begin working under the light of a little Halogen lamp and the glow of my computer screen. The rest of the house is dark behind me. I am working on an idea for a 1,000 year old abandoned temple beneath the jungle. Currently fleshing out the alter room and figuring out how it would be laid out I am setting up a couple secret entrances to the chamber from the bedroom areas. I figure it would be dramatic to have ceremonially clad worshipers "mysteriously appear" in the room to begin chanting during a session. Remembering this is 1,000 years old, I am imagining how most everything has turned to dust, or will as soon as it is touched and what the air must be like in what has now become a dark forgotten tomb. In fact, in this very room I am working on lay the skeletal remains of the last to die, directly before the alter. And that's when it happened...

My blasted ceiling fan caught a paper on the desk to my right which folded upwards and made a dry rasping scrape RIGHT NEXT TO ME! Well, what would you do in a situation like that? Don't forget where I just was in my imagination either. Obviously, I did what any heroic adventurer would have done and using my ultra fast reflexes I flinched violently away from the rasping sound of the dry mummified remains while simultaneously letting out the always understood warning cry of, "aughuhhh!"

I started laughing as soon as I realized I had just been scared by a piece of paper and I just had to share this with with you all. For those of you who "climb into your art" I'm sure you will get a good laugh. For those of you who don't well...I'm sorry your imagination isn't more powerful. That will teach me to map out a scary place in the middle of the night. LOL.

Regards everyone and watch out for that Paper Monster in the night.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Well told, and yes - i've had similar experiences

A few of them have gone unexplained to this day.. Skritching sounds in the wall turning out to be mice and such, however seeing a cat walk past the door when there are no cats in the house, shadows where there shouldn't be, but they're gone a moment later, so on...
    Yeah.

paper monsters for the win!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Something similar has happened to me as well, but I was also half-asleep at the time. I was imagining a war of some kind and then suddenly; BANG! something outside my window fell down and broke.
    I fell out of my chair because I thought a mortar had struck right next to me ._.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

I've haven't gotten that far into an art-piece but i had a similiar experience while playing F.E.A.R once. Just got off the game when my light-bulb blows, this caused my cat to jump and run from the room. Now sinse the only light source in the room was my computer screen all i saw was the room suddenly going dark and a shadow running across the wall. My first reaction was to find something to fight off "Alma" who had somehow got into my room. Now my cat is no longer allowed in my room when I'm playing my computer...

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Gosh, I can't count the number of times this sort of thing has happened to me. Reading a good scary book, writing a scary story, artwork, movies. It even happened a lot when I was younger and spent a lot of time out in the wilderness camping with my friends.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It happens to me more often than I'd like to admit for fear of being called a scaredy-cat. Around my family's houses whenever something goes missing we just blame it on my grampa, he died 23 years ago, because he will put it back the next day...he just like to play jokes on us. Well told story, maybe you have another budding career there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My experience is quite related to that one... I was once alone in my room do sketching late at night... just then my mind is flying(remembering the old times when I was at school at young age, we draw our classmates' and teacher's face as funny as we can... the funniest drawing wins!!) I start laughing all alone... I just can't stop laughing... remembering the drawing we had...