Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Fractal Terrains Climate Image Overlay

  1. #1
    Professional Artist a2area's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    182

    Default Fractal Terrains Climate Image Overlay

    This can be used as an alternate climate coloring in the latest version of Fractal Terrains. You just have to choose your sea color.

    Used as a coloring layer in photoshop with a wilbur terrain texture it produced the effect on the attached map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTclimate_by_a2area.bmp 
Views:	827 
Size:	560.9 KB 
ID:	24176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP1.jpg 
Views:	1260 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	24177  
    Last edited by a2area; 04-27-2010 at 05:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Guild Adept Aenigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Visby, Gotland, Sweden
    Posts
    317

    Default

    O_o awesome
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

  3. #3
    Administrator RobA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Niagara, Canada
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a2area View Post
    This can be used as an alternate climate coloring in the latest version of Fractal Terrains. You just have to choose your sea color.

    Used as a coloring layer in photoshop with a wilbur terrain texture it produced the effect on the attached map:
    So how does this get mapped? By altitude and latitude, or something else?

    -Rob A>

  4. #4
    Guild Journeyer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    So how does this get mapped? By altitude and latitude, or something else?
    Looks like Cold (left) to warm (right), and dry (top) to wet (bottom).

  5. #5
    Administrator RobA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Niagara, Canada
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    Looks like Cold (left) to warm (right), and dry (top) to wet (bottom).
    So it takes two greyscale maps, temperature and moisture, and picks the colours based on that funny looking image?

    -Rob A>

  6. #6
    Guild Artisan Greason Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tigard (and Florence) Oregon
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    So it takes two greyscale maps, temperature and moisture, and picks the colours based on that funny looking image?

    -Rob A>
    In FTPro, it's based on climate (temperature and rainfall models) and applied under Map>>Show Other Shader>>Show Image Climate. Terraformer (by Bill Roach and available for free from Pro Fantasy) has several dozen of these images along with several Cloud/Weather Pattern Overlays. As for how it was accomplished in Photoshop, a2area would have to explain that.

    GW
    When nothing is going right and you can't find someone else to blame, start beating your head against the wall, 'cause it'll feel so much better when you stop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •