Thread: Jeremy Elford guide

Default Jeremy Elford guide

The next step is to create our first bit of authenticity and simulate ink bleed where water based inks seep - or
    'bleed' - into the parchment fibres on old maps or text. So to do this, we are going to use our newly created
    line work because we want the bleeding to follow it. 1.4 duplicate that stroked layer about 3 times by dragging it over the new layer icon. Merge the layers
    together. Make sure it's UNDER the first stroked layer. Make sure you have de-selected everything.
    Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur > Radius of about 1.6 to 2

as it should look:

result:

What does it mean that the merged layers should be under the first stroked layer? and what is it that is supposed to be de-selected?

I think what he's saying is this:

You start with layer 1 - stroked coastline.
    Duplicate layer 1 three times and merge the 3 new layers together (don't ask me why - I can't see how doing this makes a difference, but I haven't tried it).
    Place the newly merged layer below layer 1.
    Gaussian blur the merged layer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Duplicate layer 1 three times and merge the 3 new layers together (don't ask me why - I can't see how doing this makes a difference, but I haven't tried it).
    It makes the stroked outline of that layer darker so the bleed is more noticeable.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When using a brush the outermost part of the line or stroke is partially transparent so duplicating the layer makes those pixels more solid. The pencil tool has a solid line so duplicating that would be moot. About the selection, it probably comes from a previous step not included in your snippet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps