Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

Hi! I found this place yesterday after a long desperate search to find some mapmaking tutorials and wow, you guys do not disappoint. I've been drawing maps as a hobby for years (mostly just outline sketches and political maps), and I'm looking to refine the techniques. I'm a fairly new GM, with one D&D 3.5 (yeah, we're old-fashioned) running currently and a 4E game coming up soon, but possibly looking to do maps for some collaborative fiction sometime in the near future as well.

I use Photoshop CS3, which makes it a little harder I think, but even so I've found a lot just in one day and wanted to say thanks.

Maybe sometime I'll have something worth posting. ^^;

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There are plenty of fantastic photoshop tutorials here - and most should work with the version of PS you have.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild Mordain! Looks like you've already found the tutorials section. As far as software goes, PS is generally considered one of the best forms of software for mapping so looks like you are set there as well. My encouragement would be to just pick a tutorial and start mapping. If you post an early WIP others here can have a look and provide helpful feedback. Well, happy mapping!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Yeah, PS is tough but versatile...and we've got lots of tutorials here that will help you with it. Welcome to the Guild.
    M

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild.

I'll echo the other sentiments said that Photoshop doesn't make it tougher. Once you master some of the tutorials you'll be knocking maps out in no time. And I have bog-standard CS so don't worry that your version isn't the latest.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Mordain View Post
    Hi! I found this place yesterday after a long desperate search to find some mapmaking tutorials.
    Can I ask what it was that you searched for which prevented/enabled you to find this place ? I keep thinking that were quite big here with 20K or so members of which about 2K active and so many maps on the finished forums that's its been a pain to index them all. But we keep hearing that people stumble upon this place or have trouble finding something like us until they find us. I think were missing something so that search engines or links point to us.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Welcome

Can I ask what it was that you searched for which prevented/enabled you to find this place ? I keep thinking that were quite big here with 20K or so members of which about 2K active and so many maps on the finished forums that's its been a pain to index them all. But we keep hearing that people stumble upon this place or have trouble finding something like us until they find us. I think were missing something so that search engines or links point to us.
    This had me thinking so I went and did a google search for "Map Tutorials" and after 14 :O pages there STILL was no Guild link.... Searching for "Photoshop Map Tutorials" had pyrando's tut A Medieval Town Map Tutorial in Photoshop (excelent tut by the way) come in on the third page.

Wish I understood web searches better......

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Guild Mordain I am sure you will find all sorts of .... distractions here
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome to the guild, I'm glad you finally found us.

I also did a search in Google but used: "Fantasy map tutorials" and this got a 5th place hit for us. However, when using just "map tutorials" it seems like we fall off the edge of the earth.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hey ^.^ I just joined a few days ago myself, and I use PS for all my maps. I'll be trying Illustrator at some point, but Photoshop is a brilliant application all by itself ^.^ If you're looking to try some a realistic-ish-style (^.^; ) map, definitely check out the tutorial "Creating Mountains and Other Terrains in Photoshop" by Pasis. Sorry I don't have a link - I grabbed it in a PSD and printed it to have on hand ^.^ Good luck with your mapping, and D&D 3.5 will never be lost forever!
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast