Thread: I'm looking for some dice and a chat app...

Blog Entries

Default I'm looking for some dice and a chat app...

Ok so this might seem like an odd request coming from me but I have been asked about obtaining some dice and a chat app. I could provide, only there are some more restrictions... On the social net sites like MySpace and Facebook they don't allow very much. So no cgi, javascript, PHP etc in fact the only thing they seem to allow is flash and I don't do flash. There are some flash apps out there to do chat and a few of them seem to work on the sites so maybe that's covered but I have been asked for and I don't know of any flash apps which is real small widget that you can embed and when you roll it either puts the result into the chat or shows its own list of previous rolls to everyone interested in those rolls. So its like a minimal no map VTT with only chat and dice but it must be under flash and embeddable onto a MySpace page. Anyone know of some links to anything like that ?

My suggestion was to roll the dice using a different tab on a different page to a site which runs a dice javascript type deal which generates an image of the last 10 dice rolls and you embed that image on the MySpace page and refresh it to see the rolls but that's not ideal cos of the separate tab to roll and the required refresh to see the rolls.

On a side note, would it be useful to have a cgi script here to generate dice rolls like invisible castle does ? Invis castle does a great job whilst its up but its not always so for me.

On another side note, is it possible to program a flash app without macromedia now ?

Hrm . . . That is a good question. In the past, I seem to remember some scripts for IRC that could handle this sort of thing, rolling and then posting the rolls for all to see. I don't remember the specifics (whether it had to be installed by every individual, or attached to the chat room) but if IRC still allows such scripting, that might be a solution and the Facebook page could provide a link to the channel and specific room in question. It's been years, though, since I bothered with IRC, so I don't know if that is a good solution or not.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I'm guessing this is a product idea for Facebook / Myspace because otherwise I'm not sure what the marriage to them is. Personally I use Ventrilo when I want to chat. Skype works well and is free up to a point. It's hard to put up with anything after you use the big guns and vent just runs in the background so you log in, hop in a channel and that's it. If something like that would work I can give more details. If it just has to be within facebook I don't have a clue.

There are a ton of dice apps out there or you could even write one yourself for that matter. Random generators are pretty easy to code although I have never done anything in flash myself.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Well Jax I said it was odd coming from me cos I do write a pretty popular free dice app and along with the VTT and so on I can do all sorts of play over the net but the thing is that these people specifically use facebook and myspace and a means to get new players and use the networking site to grab people in. So they are specifically requesting something that can be embedded into the site not a link to an app, an IRC site or a means outside of the site to do it. I dont think theres anything I can do other than a flash app or to have the chat / dice creating a dynamic image which is embedded on the pages. Ok so you have to post new entries via another site but everybody who logs in and fetches the image as part of their page gets new lines of chat and dice rolls. Better yet to have flash app that posts off to a server and the flash app gets a running latest list from the server in real time for the site so its live chat with dice. I just don't know of any that do this. I reckon Heruca could whoop this up cos his BRPG app is all in flash. I think I could scrape a chat in flash from somewhere but I am not seeing any dice apps or random number generators anywhere which share the results like a chat window.

So anyone know of a dice app that shares rolls but must be written as an embeddable flash app ?

Maybe it just doesn't exist but there's thousands of RP'ers on the social sites who would use it.