Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May Lite Challenge: Blue Winter's Branch

Wip April/May Lite Challenge: Blue Winter's Branch

Here's the general idea:
    It's a Honey mead tavern. There's a beehive in the basement (This map that I've uploaded), then there' going to be a main level (tavern and entertainment stage) and then the upper story (brewery for honey mead, server chambers and such, and the owners personal loft).

It's called Blue Winter's Branch, and it's in one tree with five massive branches.

Wooo! Fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levels - Bees.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	24248  
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Wip Main Floor WIP

It's not done yet, but I'm mostly there. I would love critiques.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levels - Main.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	604.4 KB 
ID:	24301  
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Wip Mid-Level Floor

Okay. This is done. I'll get the second floor done mid week next week. What do you guys think?

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levels - Main WIP2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	24319

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a fine-lookin forest there, matey. Really good job on that. The rest look top-notch as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Map's looking good! You may want to put your brewery in the basement though -- mead doesn't like the higher temperatures you'd get on the 2nd floor.

I suppose I could switch the upper and lower floors, putting the bees on the top. Only problem with that would be the loss of space. I don't think that I can fit a brewery and owner's lodgings in the same space as the main floor. Would it be acceptable to have cold marble floors for the areas related to storage and brewing or would that seem "too convenient".

Oooo or I could separate the brewery from the actual tavern, i.e. a separate tree with holey floors for ventilation. I can't say that I know many things about bars or taverns. I appreciate the pointers though.

I don't know a whole lot about bars/taverns myself, just tried to make mead once (it's my favorite beverage). It likes 65 degrees or so. Cold marble floors might be difficult to install in a tree, but I don't think that'd be "too convenient." It's fantasy after all. A great story about how the magic works to make it possible is really all you need

Yes, I'm positive that you are correct in that your average mead enjoys temperatures of 65 degrees or so. Elvish Honey Mead, however... I hear that it's the altitude that makes all the difference. Imagine the wars that have been fought over the tallest of the redwods!

As for the map itself, I think it's coming along famously. I believe that you are a mind reader of sorts, because when I saw the first one I thought to myself, "Wow, I really like that cartoony style... I only wish the forest matched it." And then, pow!

I thought about entering this month's competition myself, but I think I's rather just watch the progression of this one.

-IG

Wip WIP - Top Floor

Okay, so it worked that the storage ended up with no actual structure below other than flooring so I think that ventilation and thus air would be cool. The actual brewery is half and half so... it's going to have to be good enough.

What do you guys think about the rooms? I considered providing a few inn rooms, I'm torn. Would elves really want people staying? I guess Bilbo did hang out for a good long time. Meh, we'll see what becomes of it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levels - Upper WIP1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	951.1 KB 
ID:	24332

You have a typo in there, should be tenants Other than that I think the rooms make sense, especially if they're guest rooms rather than inn rooms. The red of the font is kinda jarring to my eyes though, it doesn't contrast well with the woodgrain beneath. Maybe a dark blue or green might go better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast